• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

"Pilot's must focus on flying the plane"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
i cant believe how complicated people are making this issue. Cameras in the cabin with cockpit monitors, a firearm inspected, and locked inside a permanant "box" in the cockpit being part of the aircraft "equipment". Checklist to include inspection of firearm and bullets. Perhaps a clear bullet-proof box made of the same material as NYC Cab partitions?

Spread the word everywhere, signs in the airport, newspapers, TV, CNN etc "WARNING, All Flights are monitored by closed circuit TV from the Flight Deck, Any attempt to intrude Flight Deck door during flight will be met with deadly force"

viola! no more hijackings!

I have no problem with guns but what do you do when you are up at 0300 in the morning at your hotel room and trying to pack and you can't find the gun.Shucks, is it under the covers, in the bathroom, under the chair, behind the T.V. Darn only one light works in the whole room, where is my flashlight, darn left it in the airplane. I can't even find the T.V. controller when I need it, how am I going to find a gun?????In the military you loose your gun you go to the brig. where are us civilian pilot's going to go.?

I guess the simple answer would be that we give that particular tool the importance that it deserves. If that means a checklist to run before leaving the room, that could be one solution.

I simply don't like the idea of the administration preventing pilots from the logical extension of PIC authority that could prevent the use, that's COULD prevent the use, of an aircraft as a flying bomb by those who have the ability to overcome the flight crew by force.

Perhaps we will come up with an easier, better way to be effective in preventing a takeover of the cockpit. That will make this discussion moot, and our aircraft much more safe.

Guns should stay with the airplane locked in the box. 1 or 2 issued per aircraft. Inspected during cockpit preparation checklist.

viola! problem solved

i dont want to be responsible for a firearm on my off time either...

im sure if the flight deck has closed circuit TV monitoring the cabin combined with AIRPLANE issued firearms, it will turn into a "dusty item" (ie. dusty buttons) It will be more of a deterrent and i do believe will prevent 100% of future cockpit intrusions. Recurrent training could include a few hours firearm training every 6 months. The expense may be met with great resistance from airline management, however airline management must understand if the flight deck is taken over in the future and their airplane is used as a missle, it will cost the industry as a whole a he!! of alot more than the amount invested to secure our flights.

Perhaps, as pilots discover the fun of target shooting, recurrent training would happen much more frequently on a "personal" basis.

A gun is irrelevant IF the problem is solved prior to getting to 30,000FT.- A ground security issue not a pilot's job to play GI Joe at FL300..

3 5 0

Latest resources

Back