Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CFINY

Hi all,

I have few q's for you guys, both AE FO's based at LGA and ComAir FO's based at JFK:

- how many hours a month you fly, on reserve and as line holder? (average)
- how long is reserve at both bases now days?
- what is you pay check like a month? (average),
including everything.

Thanks.

come to AE, can Comair guarantee you JFK as a base??

Uh, yeah...not because Comair is a super nice company and lets you choose your base, but because no one (except a few who live there or commute from somewhere which doesn't go to CVG) wants to go to JFK so it's very junior.

Yeah, come to Eagle, do you need a recommendation?

When I was hired at Comair I was based in JFK. Its pretty easy to get whatever base you want within 2-3 months out of training, and you'll most likely start in JFK with Comair. JFK was fun for the couple months I was there but I didn't want to live there and bid out to CVG. My first month I flew 90 hours, my second month about 85, and my third month I would have had a line but was moved to CVG. I just flew with a captain the other day that had come to Comair from Eagle and commented that "even the worst day at comair is a walk in the park compared to working at American Eagle". That's just what she said though. Also, 8 year upgrade vs 4 yrs at Comair....no thanks Eagle.

Don't believe everything you hear. I've been at Eagle for 15+ years and it's fine, at least for me. Who knows why some people like working somewhere and others hate the same place? Maybe the guy (or woman) didn't like commuting to their base. Maybe they were here when the whole industry took a major downturn and they got furloughed and/or displaced to San Juan on the ATR. Maybe they had spent a year or two here just as the AA flowbacks arrived and watched their anticipated upgrades go up in smoke for years. Who knows?

Honestly, if you think about it for a moment, we have similar pay and work rules generaly. We have similar length layovers and fly similar hours per month, with similar numbers of days off.

Things change too. You know that. Just because upgrades are happening in X years at some airline and X (+ or -) years at another doesn't mean those times will mean anything a year down the road. The industry is fluid. Right now we have 40 to 70 guys a month upgrading, which should clear out the senior FO's really quickly.

Both airlines should be great places to work if you come in with a good attitude and try to maintain it. If you have a choice of airlines, choose the one that will get you closest to your home the quickest. You'll be happier that way. Trust me. Commuting is not fun and tends to create a disgruntled employee in the long term.

I have on good authority that LGA is one of the most senior bases at AE. There is a hardcore group of people there, I don't know why as NYC is the junior base for any other "normal" airline but when has Eagle ever been normal, and unless you want to spend a year on reserve and have daytrips shoved down your throat, stay away from AE.

LGA FO is, infact, one of the top 3 senior FO positions at AE (behind LAX/EMJ -- and virtually even in seniority with DFW/EMJ). If you live within an hour drive, daytrips are not bad at all.

Latest resources

Back