Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilotless aircraft crashes because of..... Pilot Error?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mattpilot

Finally! Graphical TFRs!!
:)

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?ContentBlockID=1512dde0-0365-4ac1-a1a1-b4b7930512d4&

Pilot Error Downed Predator
Sun, 12 Jun '05

Ironic, Isn't It?

The Air Force announced Friday that the November 24th crash of a MQ-IL Predator unmanned aerial vehicle was caused by pilot error. The crash destroyed the aircraft with a value of about $3.5 million. (File Photo)

While on a check flight, the Predator suffered a failure in its navigation system. The pilot, who controls the aircraft remotely, decided to land the aircraft. The investigation board report stated that the pilot failed to disconnect the airspeed hold function as required by the checklist.

This resulted in the aircraft being in the wrong configuration for landing. The Predator impacted terrain near the runway and was destroyed. The investigation determined that the navigation system malfunction was a distraction, but did not prevent the aircraft from landing safely

GAME OVER - Insert another quarter

In my day, that would cost you a quarter. I'm not sure my kids would "get" that. To them, Game Over just means click Play Again.

Having no meaningful ramifications for failure does little to reinforce positive behaviors, i.e., successful landings. Of course, nobody died. Just somebody else's $3.5 million. (My money, by the way, being a taxpayer.)

And they want to have pilotless airliners?

Hmmmm :)

a Gear up Landing! why dont they just say it!

They probably crashed in in like Qatar or somewhere similar, and all the locals laughed

No, it was destroyed. Not really a "gear up landing". They've been crashing everywhere. There "mission failure" rate is almost 30 times higher than for manned flight.

Latest resources

Back