• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

pilot with A&P

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

How much advantage does a pilot have getting hired if he has an Airframe and Powerplant license-- with jet operators flying cargo or with corporate jet flight departments? Thanks

Nice avatar!

I like that avatar. Is it your own picture?

I'm not an A&P but I know several pilots who are. Some have actually kept it a secret from their employers and here's why:

They don't want to get roped into wrenching *after* they've spent the whole day flying.

That's not to say that moving from the hangar floor to the cockpit isn't a good way to get your first job--a lot of pilots have done that.

But from what I've heard, flying *and* wrenching can be a tough way to spend one's day. You might want to drop Avbug a PM. This is pretty much his realm.

But you specifically asked about airlines and corporate.

There are some cargo airlines that will hire you as a PFE (professional flight engineer) and then upgrade you to FO. Atlas is one. Polar might be another. You can also check on Kalitta and Evergreen.

In the corporate world, I'm not so sure. But since most corporate aircraft are not equiped with an FE station I'd say you'd probably get roped into flying *and* wrenching.

But of course it's your call. If you think you can handle it more power to you but most guys I know want to go home and have a beer after flying all day.

Good luck.

You would be gold at the operation that I work at and many other cargo operations where the plane is always broken away from home. It's nice to not have to fly MX out to fix the bird but I am sure you'll get taken advantage of at the smaller shops. .02 from me of course...

Thanks for your answers.
I took the avatar this summer at First Flight. The photo is unaltered except for the sunburst that I added with Paint Shop Pro 8. Note the shadow is wrong for the starburst to be real.

An operation that needs both a pilot and A&P or both a pilot and dispatcher in the same body, usually can't afford either.

Latest resources

Back