Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Unions exist for the safety of pilots and passengers.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

YourPilotFriend

YourPilotFriend
Why hasn't this message been communicated lately? Didn't the founding memebers of ALPA die in plane crashes? Shouldn't this be a pivotal slogan in the fight against union busting?

Does that mean I am safer on AAL than on Jet Blue?

pilotyip said:
Does that mean I am safer on AAL than on Jet Blue?

If you haven't already, make sure you read "Flying The Line." The rules that we fly by today did not come about by the generosity of management or the efforts of an enlightened government. Rather the rules we fly by today are a direct result of the efforts of a group of pilots who were determined to insure that safety was more important than the bottom line.
The "what have you done for me lately" mentality of todays pilots does a grave disservice to the efforts of those pilots who put their lives and their livelihoods on the line in order to see even the most modest gains in safety. (Does anyone here really believe that 8 or 9 hours between duty period is adequate in all situations?)
Unions are not the enemy. Unions have done more for the piloting profession than most pilots are willing to admit.

Pilotyp, this isn't directed at you. And it isn't directed at JetBlue pilots either. But to answer your question, no. You are not safer on AA than on JetBlue. You are safer because a group of pilots in the early days of aviation decided to form a union for the expressed goal of bringing safety to their chosen profession.

Schedule with safety.

Hog

Pilot Unions DO exist for the safety of pilots and passengers.But how can we convince the general public of this when on a pilot web board we have thread titles like "What does your 1.95% do for you"?

The predecessor to and therefore the NTSB was created primarily due to ALPA. ALPA pushed legislation that a seperate entity to investigate aircraft accidents, due to the excessive pilot error label that was being placed on too many accidents. At the time it the CAA (FAA at the time) was conducting these accidents.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Civil_Aeronautics_Board

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0966551400/qid=1135257586/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-7778640-5935901?s=books&v=glance&n=283155

Now, the NTSB is the safety organization that oversees not only aviation but highway, maritime, rail etc....

Last edited:
Huck said:
Pilot Unions DO exist for the safety of pilots and passengers.But how can we convince the general public of this when on a pilot web board we have thread titles like "What does your 1.95% do for you"?

This is what helps ALPA be more than a trade union and a professioal association. Its Safety and Engineering Dept is well respected. ALPA has been called the [safety] conscience of the air line industry.....

http://216.239.51.104/search?q=cache:z7LQhSICB74J:www.nmb.gov/documents/rla50-chapter04.pdf+Civil+Aeronautics+Act+alpa&hl=en

Last edited:
I have read the book and I am a former ALPA member; my airline went out of business. I could not agree more ALPA has made the airline industry a better place to work from getting pilots single rooms on overnights in the 40's and setting industry standards like respecting seniority plus the push for better aircraft and safety. There is a probability that the industry would not be as safe as it is without ALPA. However all that aside, ALPA did not adjust to a changing industry and kept raising the costs to airlines that allowed upstarts to come in a take away market share

Latest resources

Back