Pilot threatens suicide flight

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

A1FlyBoy

Wednesday, March 27, 2002 - ARAPAHOE COUNTY - A commuter airline pilot underwent a mental health evaluation Tuesday after threatening to commit suicide by flying into one of the Qwest buildings in downtown Denver.

Edward Cavanaugh, 32, was taken into custody at his Aurora home Monday. Sheriff's investigators said he told a former employee that life wasn't worth living and made the threat against one of the towers.

"He never said which one. We're assuming the one that's most visible," Arapahoe County Undersheriff Grayson Robinson said.

The threat is reminiscent of a January incident in which a teenager killed himself by flying a small plane into a Tampa, Fla., office building. A similar threat landed a Portland, Ore., man in jail earlier this year, Federal Aviation Administration officials said.

Cavanaugh is a pilot at Key Lime Air Service based at Centennial Airport. The company is known for its bright-green commuter planes, including propeller-driven airplanes and jets. Vice president Glen Rich said Tuesday he was unaware of the incident.

A few flights at Centennial were delayed as deputies, Denver police and the FBI searched for Cavanaugh. When deputies caught up to him, Cavanaugh admitted to making the threat, they said. After talking to Cavanaugh and witnesses, authorities believe he may have been drinking at the time he made the threat.

Sheriff's officials notified the FAA, which also sent word to Denver International Airport. Operations there continued normally, but investigators consider all threats in light of Sept. 11, said FAA spokesman Allen Kenitzer.

"They take all things seriously these days," Kenitzer said. "I'm not sure if there are more incidents or they're publicized more or if it's the fact that these things are taken seriously."

It's unclear whether Cavanaugh will face criminal charges. After his mental evaluation is complete, the Arapahoe County Sheriff's Office and the FBI will review the case, Robinson said.

"We took it seriously, no question. He had access to a variety of aircraft," Robinson said. "Quite frankly, we wanted to make sure he was safe, too."

I wonder if that means there is a job available at Key Lime Air in Denver:D

Like they say..."Life is tough....it's even tougher if you're stupid!!"

I believe the law he broke would fall under the new anti-terrorism laws that Congress enacted. I'm sure one of them said "thou shalt not threaten to fly airplanes into buildings". That may not be verbatim but I bet it's dammn close. What law are you breaking by drunkingly yelling to a friend (while you 2 just happen to be in a crowded movie theater) "FIRE!"....

Boy, this sure helps our reputationa bunch. Now I have to answer questions about my mental health. What's next? Thanks a lot dude. I can't wait to buy you a chocolate bar when I see you in the Rubber Ramada.

Latest resources

Back