• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

erj-145mech

Pilot stopped at Knoxville airport carrying loaded gun
56815_G.gif
November 19, 2005
By DANIELLE BANKS
6 News Anchor/Reporter
ALCOA (WATE) -- A pilot was questioned and released at McGhee Tyson Airport Saturday morning after security personnel found a loaded gun in his carry-on bag.
The man missed his scheduled flight and was later given a citation.
The uniformed flight officer was stopped at one of the airport's security checkpoints.
While he was in uniform, a Transportation Security Administration source told 6 News the pilot was off-duty and not scheduled to fly the United Airlines flight he was about to board for Chicago.
When asked if the pilot was a federal flight deck officer, that is, someone with authorization to carry a gun on a plane, 6 News was told the answer was "no."
The matter is still being investigated by TSA and airport police.
When the matter is concluded in Knoxville it will be turned over to the FBI for further review.
Attempting to carry a prohibited item onto a plane can land you fine ranging from $250 to $1,500.
Fines for bringing a loaded weapon onto a plane range from $3,000 to$7,500.
The Transportation Security Administration says certain people, such as law enforcement, are allowed to carry guns on board planes. But they still must abide by certain rules.
All firearms must be declared at the ticket counter during check-in.
The gun must be unloaded and must be carried in a locked, hard-sided container.
http://www.wate.com/Global/story.asp?S=4143560&nav=menu7_2_1

As a side note, if a crew has only one of its two pilots as an FFDO, and they reach security together, shouldn't both crewmembers be allowed to bypass security? I mean, in a matter of minutes I'm going to be sitting, in the cockpit, inches away from a guy/gal with a loaded gun. Does it really make sense for me to go through security so they can remove my nail clippers?

Turtlesfly said:
I mean, in a matter of minutes I'm going to be sitting, in the cockpit, inches away from a guy/gal with a loaded gun. Does it really make sense for me to go through security so they can remove my nail clippers?
Yes, because you might sense the other pilot's manly powers and attempt to give him a pedicure or something flamboyant like that.

Turtlesfly said:
As a side note, if a crew has only one of its two pilots as an FFDO, and they reach security together, shouldn't both crewmembers be allowed to bypass security? I mean, in a matter of minutes I'm going to be sitting, in the cockpit, inches away from a guy/gal with a loaded gun....

And therefore, if an FBI agent is sitting in seat 14E, then the passengers on that flight, sitting in 14D and 14F, should also be exempt from security for the same reason......right?

Turtlesfly said:
As a side note, if a crew has only one of its two pilots as an FFDO, and they reach security together, shouldn't both crewmembers be allowed to bypass security? I mean, in a matter of minutes I'm going to be sitting, in the cockpit, inches away from a guy/gal with a loaded gun. Does it really make sense for me to go through security so they can remove my nail clippers?

Aaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhh..............NO

RUhiring? said:
And therefore, if an FBI agent is sitting in seat 14E, then the passengers on that flight, sitting in 14D and 14F, should also be exempt from security for the same reason......right?

Well no, because a pilot who is armed is not protecting themselves against the other pilot sitting next to them. We're on the same team, unlike the Air Marshal who would be protecting himself/herself against an unruly pax next to them who would start a cabin uprising.

Latest resources

Back