pilot shortage!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Puttin

Just curious what all the furloghed and unemployed pilots would think of this statement? And of course anyone else.

"This is the first time in nearly 30 years that there has been an actual pilot shortage in the United States. Yes, 9-11 did have a major impact on the aviation industry. And, yes, some major airlines are in financial trouble – but they were in trouble before 9-11. Stress can be depended upon to “weed out” the weak first. Not well publicized, but important none-the-less is the fact that the healthy air carriers have been adding routes and accelerating the delivery of new airplanes. This is a good sign – it signals a healthy industry." (Dr. Harvey, LCC Flight Tech 12/30/2002)

The whole article can be found at

http://www.lanecc.edu/flight/dhs.htm

Who the heck does he work for?

Sounds like a talking head in the secret employ of AIR Inc if you ask me.

"All is good. all is well, hiring is strong! You will all be hired, pay us $$$$ to improve your chances!"

I did not follow the link!

But here is my take on this.

Sure there is hiring...at the undrpaid, overworked level. Flying is shifted to the regionals very overtly in most cases or covertly in others.
If your dream is to fly and money is unimportant, it could be a great career for you. Flying opportunities are out there.
If you are twenty something, you may reach the pot of gold at the majors, but your chances are much less likely than before 9/11.
Of course, 9/11 is not the only cause of this situation. It begun long before 9/11. The shortsighted MEC's not seeing the threat of the RJ's, refusing single seniority lists with their regional pilots and relying on poorly crafted scope clauses led here. The tragic events of 9/11 just played into managements hand.
Good luck to us all.

One of Kit's cronies building a smelly pile with the hope that something beautiful will grow.

Pilot shortage?!!!! I just interviewed with a major airline that will remain nameless, but I was the lowtime guy with 6000 hrs of jet. We had three furloughed airline captains that had over 10,000 hrs or real close to it and typed in heavy iron. The market is flooded and it ain't going to get better for a while. Needless to say, I didn't get the job or did over half of the other interviewees. Maybe there is a shortage in Africa or New Zealand, but not around here.

jet

I personally think the only "pilot shortage' is that of furloughed major airline pilots that are able to gain interviews with reasonably quality employers. Most companies still seem reluctant to grant interviews to furloughees for the same reasons that they all seem to rationalize.

Puttin said:
Just curious what all the furloghed and unemployed pilots would think of this statement? And of course anyone else.

Let's see ... 1 interview in 14 months. Trust me, there is no shortage my friend.

Better question, how large is the pilot pool? No matter how large the pool of available pilots now, it will increase by at least another 3000 by years end.

I know my company went from getting 10-20 resumes a week, to getting as many a day.

Pilot shortage, what pilot shortage.

While United has not disclosed details of the plan, a published report Wednesday said it aims to reduce the number of its pilots and flight attendants by up to 25 percent and implement a two-tier pay structure.

Latest resources

Back