• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pilot Shortage (again and again)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Larry, your intro leads me to believe that you posted this to illustrate the BS that still comes from the pilot training/pilot job help industry. If not, please don't fall for the lies.

regards
8N

Not I'm not buying into the shortage. I am planning to make the career change in April of next year. So where should I go guys? My wife wants to be in the Jacksonville or Daytona area. I could probably swing Pensacola. I'm guessing I'll have about 700TT and 75 multi. Obviously its instructing for me, which is ok as I'll need another 6 months to finish my Masters degree. Suggestions?

road

We have been down this road before and it goes no where/

If you find a job, it is probably a pilot shortage, if you do not, must be a surplus.

People advertise all the time, for this and everything else. On TV we all get the girl. Forget this Bobby, Kit did not create it, he lives with it, so should we.

road

We have been down this road before and it goes no where/

If you find a job, it is probably a pilot shortage, if you do not, must be a surplus.

People advertise all the time, for this and everything else. On TV we all get the girl. Forget this Bobby, Kit did not create it, he lives with it, so should we.

Larry, I doubt that you intended for your thread to become a fight about AirInc. If you want to see pages and pages of debate over the tactics AirInc uses to promote its business you need only to search this forum for AirInc, Kit Darby, etc.

So, I'll just say this in response to something the Publisher said about AirIncs head honcho, Kit Darby.

"Kit did not create it, he lives with it, so should we"

Granted, AirInc did not create the present situation. But, they are not "living" with it. They are ignoring it at best, and/or spinning it to their gain.

They continue to use Enron style accounting in the way they compute the number of pilot jobs coming available in the future. By that I mean that they just ignore the losses and count only the gains. Under my way of accounting, if a AAA pilot gets furloughed from mainline AAA and subsequently gets called back to MidAtlantic, the net gain in pilot jobs in ZERO. AirInc must be counting only the created job and seeing a net gain of one. Otherwise, there is no way that they could continue to release statistics showing an increase in pilot jobs this year. Yet they are continually quoted by most all of the press, as having stated that XXnth number of pilot jobs will be created, as if the total number of employeed pilots is what is increasing. Wrong.

Please enter the profession if you want, It is still a free country. Just don't let the pilot shortage pimps give you a false sense of optimism about the future.

Good Luck.
8N

Pilot Shortages ARE real (sometimes)

sometimes the shortages are real.

I personally have no use for the parasites AIRINC, Darby, AEPS, and once upon a time FAPA who put out all that self serving drivel about shortages. However, In the time period 98-01 there was a real shortage. My company (a freighter op out of business now post 9/11) was so desparate for pilots in early 2000 that flight crews were solicited by management: "Do you know anybody needs a flying job?" and were given flyers to handout at random FBOs we passed thru. It was quality jet time and we had vacant slots needing pilots. But who wants to fly night freight when the regionals were hiring so strong at the same time? When I was returning from Simuflite one time (summer 2000) I ran into a couple Northwest pilots who encouraged me to put in an app there because they needed pilots real bad.

As recently as last summer Executive Jet was also very desparate for pilots and had planes parked with nobody to fly them. They were hiring direct at job fairs and on the road at FBOs also.

I have seen real pilot shortages in the recent past and I hope the good-ole-days return again real soon.

t

"Real" pilot shortages

Pilot shortages are real until H.R. lowers the current requirements. Then, there are no more shortages until requirements have to be lowered again, ad infinitum.

Now, if H.R. lowered requirements to the point where it was hiring 250-hour pilots, then, yes, there would be a pilot shortage. Something like that happened briefly in the '60s. Don't hold your breath for that happening again. I'm not counting the 300-hours wonders whom United hires, who are aberrations, or 300-hour MAPD grads, who are qualified strictly for Mesa.

I agree with the above. The only time I like to see airplanes parked is when they need pilots. Other times are tragedies. I still remember the day when the original Frontier shut down.

Latest resources

Back