Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lots of online resources out there.

By far the best one is: www.baseops.net

Lower right of the front page is a "Pilot Training" section. They have archived all the information you need on what is required to get a slot.

But the best piece of advice I can give is this: don't take "no" for an answer. There is a waiver for everything.

Good Luck!
-Jason

DO you want Active Duty or G & R? Totally different routes to take? If you want G&R buy the book Flying in the Guard and Reserve. It is very helpfull

Does anyone have any recommendations for getting a pilot slot in the AF?

Yes.

Do well in school. Hope there are slots available. Do well in school. Pass the flight physical. Do well in school. Score high on the AFOQT. Do well in school. Look good at any interview. And...do well in school.

There will be lots of suggestions for taking certain paths to becoming an AF pilot because it's "easier" or this certain way will accomodate "your" life. But, if you decide to become a pilot in the AF (or Navy/Marines) you'll owe and, hopefully, enjoy it.

You won't go wrong following the top paragragh and it will make it hard for them to turn you down.

Last edited:
I am in AFROTC at Clemson University and I got an 86 on the Pilot part of the AFOQT. I will commission in 2010 and be active duty.

Go Tigers! I'm a '94 grad and did 10 years active duty. Yes, grades mean a lot - I even switched my major to underwater basket weaving for the sole purpose of boosting my GPA b/c calculus was kicking my a$$. I wouldn't think of suggesting that to you, but luckily it worked out for me. If your grades aren't there, there isn't a lot the ROTC staff can do for you. I see you have your FAA ticket already - that also helps to show commitiment. Also helpful are your "leadership opportunities" such as taking part in Arnold Air Society (holding an officer position is even better), sports, clubs, etc. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'll add this too - be very careful what you put down on your pre-flight physical paperwork. Every now and again I have the typical springtime allergy symptoms and made the mistake of checking "hay fever" on my medical application - and was immediately disqualified. Thankfully, like Mongoose said, there is a waiver to just about everything.

What talon driver said! Although I didn't do so hot in school (2.9 GPA, to much partying!) and still managed to sneak into a UPT slot with the guard. Apply, don't DQ yourself because you don't think you meet the requirements.

Yes.

Do well in school. Hope there are slots available. Do well in school. Pass the flight physical. Do well in school. Score high on the AFOQT. Do well in school. Look good at any interview. And...do well in school.

I don't have military experience, but judging from my buddy who recently joined his AD squadron, doing well in school is everything. If you f*ck off during your college years, but do well in school, you will open yourself up to a world of opportunity. He had no idea he wanted the AF until after he graduated.

Like I said, I don't have any military experience, but doing well in school is the only things that set my friends apart from the pack...regardless of flight time.

He digs the AF and had less flight time than his fellow applicants. It really was the grades that set him apart.

neah

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back