Pilot Salary Perspective

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

TailDraggerTed

I was told today that the existing NetJets Pilot Agreement (from the previous but still in force contract) has built in annual wage increases that average 7 percent per year (is this true?).
7 percent doesn’t sound so bad to me.

The pilot salary surveys I have seen appear to be more of a history lesson than an honest look at what is really happening out there.

The article below offers some perspective. I bet the Delta pilots would love 7 percent right now.

Pilots Saying Yes to Less Money May Save Delta Air

Nov. 11 (Bloomberg) -- The labor cost and productivity problems of major airlines have been intractable for a couple of decades, which makes imminent pay concessions by Delta pilots a hopeful event for the airline, lenders, investors and the industry.

About 6,800 Delta Air Lines Inc. pilots are expected to ratify a new contract today that will reduce their salaries 32.5 percent. Without the contract the airline almost certainly would be declaring bankruptcy at once, and even with the concessions financial health is no guarantee.

In the regulated environment of the 1970s and before, entry barriers for new and low-cost airlines were immense. Employee unions, especially pilots, had all the leverage in wage talks.

The pilots and other unions managed to maintain their bargaining leverage until almost the present day -- at the price of making airline stocks a miserable investment, and while helping to drive more than a few airlines into bankruptcy.

Delta shares, for example, have averaged a negative 14.1 percent annual return for the last 15 years, a period when the S&P 500 index increased an average 10.4 percent annual return. Northwest Airlines Corp. has posted a similar return since 1995, when it was recapitalized.

As Warren Buffett has been inspired to observe: If one were to aggregate the cumulative financial results of every airline incorporated since the Wright brothers, they have yet to show a profit.

Labor's High Cost
Labor represents the biggest component of an airline's overall costs -- about 40 percent -- and pilot salaries account for the biggest chunk of labor costs. Furthermore, the pilots lead the way for wage demands by other airline groups.

Ray Neidl, airline analyst for Calyon Securities (USA) Inc., said the impetus for Delta's concessionary agreement came from the rank-and-file among the pilots, not from the union leadership. Evidently the pilots understand that the well has run dry, that shareholders are unlikely to recapitalize Delta, since low-cost competitors like JetBlue Airways and Southwest might rush into the void.

In other words: Liquidation is a real danger.

``The (Delta) employees looked at their counterparts at other airlines and they see that sacrifices have been greater, pensions are in danger, and they realized they can do this themselves, rather than have a bankruptcy court dictate to them,'' Neidl said.
United's Problems
Other airline employees, facing the need to lower wages and benefits in order to stay in business, didn't reach the same conclusion as Delta's pilots. UAL Corp., parent of United Air Lines, filed for bankruptcy in December 2002, following the U.S. government's denial of a $1.8 billion loan guarantee.

Indeed, United's difficulty in lowering costs -- including employee costs -- may have been a deciding factor in the government saying no.

UAL shares, which sold at high as $93 in early 1998, now trade for about $1 a share. (Employees, owners of 55 percent of the company, stand to be the biggest losers as a result of the equity eventually being wiped out.) The airline also defaulted on about $6.5 billion of publicly traded debt when it filed for bankruptcy.

Late last month, when Delta and its pilots union indicated publicly they were on the verge of a tentative agreement on wage concessions, investor interest in the airline's equity and its debt was rekindled. Since Oct. 22, Delta shares have doubled in value to their current level of about $6.25 each.

Neidl upgraded his recommendation on Delta stock to buy from neutral on Oct. 25.

Cuts vs Bankruptcy
Appetite to buy Delta bonds also was whetted. The price of the airline's 8.3 percent bonds due Dec. 29, 2029, rose from about $240 per $1,000 face value to about $380, while the yield on the bonds fell to 22 percent from about 35 percent.

Delta pilots' current wage scale made them the best paid in the U.S. industry, according to AIR Inc. in Atlanta, an aviation information consulting company.

Under the proposed concessionary contract, a co-pilot on the company's smallest aircraft would earn $34,020 annually, compared with the current $50,400. A captain on a Boeing 777 would earn $194,160, down from the current $287,652.

No one likes a cut in pay, even relatively well-paid workers like pilots. There may be some comfort in the fact that cuts almost certainly would have been more drastic in bankruptcy.

Delta pilots, moreover, still have an operating pension fund. Their counterparts at United face the likelihood that their pension fund will be terminated with a significant shortfall.

The simple truth is that the marketplace long ago decided that airline labor is worth less. Trying to avoid that truth is a temporary strategy at best.

A basic math lesson

7 percent of delta's wage is a monster number

7 Percent of netjets wage won't even get you a cup of coffee.

Who gives a crap what percentage. Talk real numbers then you'll be shocked.

My 7 percent wage for my pay year is like an extra 180 a month.

7%? Umm....not really. First of all, are you asking about First Officer salaries? They start at around $28000 and cap out at, I'm not sure how accurate my memory is, but it's close to $34000 at year 5. No increases after that. So an F/O's salary goes up $6000 in five years. That's about $1200/year. Not even close to 7%!
As for captains, starting salary is something like $37650. Yes, I believe if you average out all the raises over 14 years (no raises beyond 14 with the current contract), you might see something like 7%. Sounds good? Okay, what's 7% of 37800? So your first raise is a little less than $2800. So at year 2 you barely hit 40000! The next raise will put you close to 43800Wow, do these sound like good captain salaries? You could be a third year Falcon 2000 captain making $43800!Impressive stuff.
Yes, if our base salaries started at, say, $65000 (just throwing out a random number here folks, I'm not interested in starting another debate about what fair pay at NJA should be.) then 7% may not seem so bad.

As for Delta's woes (and pretty much the rest of the legacy carriers), it's true they are struggling and the pay cuts have been massive. I feel for those guys! That being said, we aren't Delta. Delta is floundering. Netjets is booming! I've been there just about 8 years and I've never seen it so busy. No matter what they spout at the negotiating table, the company's actions speak very clearly as to what's going on. We are doing very well. Don't doubt it for a second!

And finally, even after Delta's massive pay cuts, I'll bet you'd be very hard pressed to show me a first year captain (on the mainline) starting at $37650. I'm not privvy to their new salaries, but I'd bet it's still at least twice our first year captain pay.

Oh, and since we don't get any raises after 14 years (15 years in the TA that was just voted down), and we have pilots now who have been here longer than 14 years, that brings the average down. And each year as we have more pilots who have been here longer than 14 years and who aren't getting any additional raises, the average will continue to come down further.

I hope this puts it into perspective for you. Please folks, I'm not trying to spark another pay debate here, just trying to answer the gentleman's question. Yes, my salary figures are not precise, but I don't have a current copy of my contract in front of me. But the numbers should be pretty close.

Good luck to all!

TailDraggerTed said:
I bet the Delta pilots would love 7 percent right now.
And I'd gladly trade my pay for whatever concessionary final pay they agreed to. Ted - you're an ass.

Starman said:
And I'd gladly trade my pay for whatever concessionary final pay they agreed to. Ted - you're an ass.

Ted, you really are a moron.

However, Im sure you are not alone, and you are the reason these folks may wind up putting 7% on a real small number for years to come..

unreal folks.

Diesel said:
7 Percent of netjets wage won't even get you a cup of coffee.
Oh, come on...be realistic...7% of your pay would get you a cup of coffee....just not a cup of coffee at Starbucks! 7-11 it is! :D

On a more serious note...you say 7% of your current pay would be $180 a month. That comes out to roughly $31,000 a year....aren't you a Captain, or at least on Capt pay?

Just a quick note, you first say that ifyou cannot compare Nja to delta because NJA is not Delta and is profitable. Then you might not want to compare salaries from Delta to NJA,

I mean no disrespect, but I think you are correct the first time: to want to compare apples to apples.

You guys should come up with a business model for fractional business.

So in your model get good salaries but make sure the stock holders and investors get theirs too.

BTW, a quick question: How many pilots have hit the cap of their pay, does anyone have an idea of this?

Last edited:
FracFiend,

Look you little management toady - you're not convincing anyone. Wasn't 82% a strong enough message for you?

FAcFriend said:
Just a quick note, you first say that ifyou cannot compare Nja to delta because NJA is not Delta and is profitable. Then you might not want to compare salaries from Delta to NJA,

I mean no disrespect, but I think you are correct the first time: to want to compare apples to apples.
Last contract time Mr. Santulli said "you can't compare your wages with what's being paid at the Regionals and Majors; it's apples and oranges."

Now, that the airlines are losing money (perhaps, not the regionals) we're being told to compare and be thankful our cuts aren't as big.

I agree with the guy who said we're busy. I've been working my butt off and I bet if the TA vote were held to-day, it'd go down bigger! Haven't worked this hard since the last contract put out on us got voted in

Starman, Can't claim that job, but you can elect me:) I was only agreeing with reality man and his assertion that you cant compare apples to oranges.

Lord Wakefield, I am in total agreement with you. You should not compare yourselves to the airlines whether they are making or losing money. It is a different business - I have learned that from these boards. You have to find away to make this business profitable and work for everyone.

There is so much emotion here. Good business decisions are made on objective issues. You guys keep feeling "wronged" "fighting" and us against them. History of unions, yes: but in todays economic climate for pilots is it the best tac?

The only part of the majors that weakens your position, is there are not places you can go to get better paying jobs quickly. (again, I think).

On a macro level, look at other industries entirely- this company is growing, now investors want their pay off- how can this co. cross the chasm and still offer great pay for everyone without going down?

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back