Pilot Resume No-No's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No personal info?

What about personal info? Why is that such a bad idea? Including your age, marital status, non-smoker, etc. Is that really such a bad idea if it's in your favor? I always thought that last line "References: Provided upon request" is a totally useless waste of a line. Of course references will be provided upon request!! So instead of that last line, why not "Personal: 32 years old, non smoker, excellent health". Should you really not included that?

Personal info, if the company you send your resume to has a legal or HR dept, there is a good chance you have the personal parts of your resume blacked out or cut off. This then leaves the reader with a feeling of something being hidden.

The CP at a company I used to work for had a SOP per the owners that any resume that included personal info IMMEDIATELY went into the trash. Their rationale? Anything that sets you apart from anybody else and the information they provide (TT, experience, training, ratings) could be considered biased in terms of hiring and firing if it ever became a legal issue. IE, "They knew I was Black/Muslim/Jewish/Female/Skilled at Fellatio when they hired me and then they didn't like it so they got rid of me"---everybody should be considered as monochromatic reproductions considered only for their skills and experience or they have grounds for a future lawsuit.

Not sure that's the BEST policy on earth, but from a litigation standpoint I guess it makes sense. I watched a lot of resumes go in the trash cuz people included things like their religious affiliations, their children's ages (? Who cares!), their race, etc. To an employer, all they care about is whether you're qualified for the job.

my $.02

Last edited:
Skip, is it true you returned to flip winged inverted whistling s**t cans of death? I hope all is well Skip. ML you still having fun in the DO? You should come out and see JD's fancy jet.

What about personal info? Why is that such a bad idea? Including your age, marital status, non-smoker, etc. Is that really such a bad idea if it's in your favor? I always thought that last line "References: Provided upon request" is a totally useless waste of a line. Of course references will be provided upon request!! So instead of that last line, why not "Personal: 32 years old, non smoker, excellent health". Should you really not included that?

leave the personal stuff off. when they interview you, they'll be able to guess some of it. don't give them stuff they don't need to know...stick to the quals.

What about personal info? ... why not "Personal: 32 years old, non smoker, excellent health". Should you really not included that?

Suppose the guy hiring you has in his head that he wants someone older? Maybe he's a chain-smoker, and the last thing he wants is a non-smoker giving him grief for his habit.

In both cases, putting unnecessary personal information on your resume has disqualified you, and you'll never even know it -- you just won't get a call.

Leave it off.

Yeah baby---me and these medevac heli-ma-copters are coming to an uneasy truce! Trying to figure out who this is that knows me and Mark both---hmmmmm. It's a long and distinguished list---and so's my johnson, right?! Anyway, keep the dirty side down and don't make me come get you!!!

Quimby,

Where did you get the pic on your avatar? Please point me in the right direction so I can get it please. I remember an AME that had a full size poster of that 75.

Latest resources

Back