Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Nack55

Hey guys,

I am currently a corporate pilot, but want an little more patriotsim in my life. Is the Navy or Air Force currently accepting pilot slots into the officer training programs for either units? I am college grad and am 29, I know that is the cut off for age. I have about 500 hours jet pic time, 1500tt, which does not mean much to you guys but I can forget all my training and config to the military training. Any insight would be much appreciated. Spelling was never my best asset so please excuse any gramatical errors. This economy sucks so I doubt there is much movement or need in either units.

Thanks

Nack55

Thanks for your patriotism!! It's a bold move to make at your age. Things to think about:

1. Are you ready for the physical requirements of officer training?

2. Unlearning civilian flying can be more difficult than starting from the beginning.

3. The commitment is 8 years after flight school, about 10 yrs total.

4. You need about a 3.0 GPA to be looked at.

I truly don't know how the services are doing for pilots right now, but talk to an officer recruiter and they should steer you in the proper direction.

Feel free to PM if you have any specific questions.

Try the Army Warrant Officer Flight Training Program. They will take you all the way up to 33 years old. Here is a link:

http://www.usarec.army.mil/hq/warrant/WOcivilian.html

If you have any qualms about flying helicopters you have about a 40% chance of flying heliopters in the Navy and about a 10% chance in the Air Force but it may be higher because the Air Force is short helicopter pilots right now. I suggest the Army because of the age cutoff is higher. Starting the process with the Navy or Air Force with less than a years time to complete is a tall order since you have to take tests, physicals, and interview boards that often take months to schedule.

The Army will have you attend nine weeks of Basic Training then 6 weeks of Warrant Officer Candidate School. Its about as long as OCS or OTS when you add it up. Then 40 weeks flight training. You will receive the same instruction that Air Force and NATO pilots receive. All Army pilot are trained for Rotary Wing first. Your experience will probably help only in instruments and will not have any bearing on you being selected for fixed wing training.

The Army has made great strides in the past 10 years and almost all aircraft are two pilot glass cockpit. Assignments will vary dpending on what aircraft you are in and where you are sent usually a combination of line units and special duty such as Operational Support or Fort Rucker IP. Pay and benefits can't be beat no matter what sevice you chose. Best of luck.

AirCobra-

Thanks for the informative post. I was seriously looking into the Warrant program in 2000-2002, but had to shelve the idea because it seemed that military guard/reserve had become full-time, and I was still working on my civilian career. Nonetheless, I have taken that idea off the shelf and looking at it again.

To start with, I am 30, will need to have eyes and hearing waived.

At the moment, I am trying to figure out if\where the units are in Oregon.

Can you point me in the right direction?
(Official military websites seem to be overly vague)

Thanks,

ZP

Here is a link to get you started for Oregon Guard units.
http://www.oregon.gov/OMD/Unit_Address.shtml

Understand, I'm not trying to bust your balls but offer some constructive advice. It took me about 30 seconds to find that link with some Oregon aviation units. There are several Army Aviation web sites that can answer all your questions but be advised, use search engines and do your homework before you ask questions. I say this because these guys are going to rip you a new a$$ hole if you go on there and ask basic questions that can be found in a search. There's a lot more to being an officer in the military then being a pilot.

Again, not trying to bust your balls. Best of luck and remember, where there's a will there's a way.

jetjock-

I know you're trying to help, however the link provided does not really answer any questions for me. I have seen that website. However, if you click on the Salem units, you get a really nice picture of a building. I am looking for aircraft, missions, etc.

Nonetheless, thanks anyways.

Dude,for real...did you understand the context of what I wrote.

If you take one of the Salem units, for instance 249 AVN and Google it, the first thing that comes up is http://www.geocities.com/Pentagon/Quarters/2931/units2.html
It list the aircraft they fly.

The first link I gave you had the unit phone numbers. Call and talk to someone in the unit. Ask them these questions. They will be glad to help.

I tried to warn you.

You got s#!t on and your thread got deleted off of kiowapilot.com because your very first question out of the gate was about unit locations and aircraft. OPSEC is a big issue. Gotta love the Cav.

Farva was right about going AF guard/reserve but you've got issues with the physical and age. The AF is a harder nut to crack and getting multiple wavers is an issue.

You need someone on the inside. As I said before, call the unit and talk to someone there. Talk to an officer or recruiter within the unit.

Latest resources

Back