Pilot Job for the ANG

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Beechman

So, is it possible for a civlian to get a flying job in the ANG? I checked out the ANG website and it seems that some bases are hiring pilots...what's involved and so on...

The purpose of the ART program is to keep Reserve and National Guard units functioning outside regular drill weekends. ANG and ART Civilian Jobs require you to affiliate with National Guard or Reserve, that means you have to join the Guard or Reserve, or already have to be in the guard or reserve, to fly for them. If you are not already an Air Force pilot you will first have to be selected for UPT by the particular guard or reserve unit you are hoping to work for ,which means you have to meet all the requirements to become an Air Force pilot such as having to go OTS, not be too old etc. Once you complete UPT it will probably take several years before you would be considered for an ART position.

These jobs are really set up for guys coming off active duty as pilots, or experienced pilots already in the unit. Nearly every pilot in the guard or reserve probably has an application in and every few years a guy is brought on full time in an ART position, usually an experienced aircraft commander and instructor pilot.

So, is it possible for a civlian to get a flying job in the ANG? I checked out the ANG website and it seems that some bases are hiring pilots...what's involved and so on...
I think AirCorbra might have taken your question in another direction...

If you are simply wanting to become a pilot in the guard, then yes, civillians can apply, you do not have to be prior service. If hired, you will become a member of the military and have to go through the normal military training pipeline before going to pilot training. A guard pilot job is a PART TIME job, however. There are full time options out there, and that is what AirCobra is talking about. I've been in the guard 6 years and still trying to get one...

Good luck. Post more questions if you have them.

Oh sorry. I thought he was taking about those Guard vacancy announcements for technician jobs like you see on places like usajobs.gov

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back