Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

braidkid

Here's my situation.....
I'm 26 years old and have wanted to fly since I was little. I graduated from college last year and haven’t had the money to really acquire hours until now. I plan to get my instrument and commercial license by next summer and then begin instructing. I’m worried that I wont be able to find an instructor’s job that will give me at least 80 hours a month to gain my 1000 hours in a year or two. Is it hard to find schools that offer this much instruction time per month especially for someone with only 250 hours? What is the best way to go about this? I know there is no easy way but I’m determined to do whatever it takes to fly professionally someday. Are these schools like Comair worth the money? At least I would have a shot at instructing and gaining 100/month. Do those schools hire instructors that didn’t graduate with their program as instructors? Is there a particular region of the United States where it would be easier to get an instructing job and acquire hours? Please, any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. I currently hold a private license with 120 hours.

100 hrs per month may be a little unrealistic for flight instruction. You have to remember there is more to instruction than just being in the airplane. There is ground school instruction, pre and post flight brief and alot of other things that take up your time. The only job I ever got anywhere near 100 hours per month was flying 135 freight. And we did not hit 100 per month every month. Some suggestions, there are other things out there besides instruction. I received most of my hours flying aerial photography. We flew close to 100 per month. I hate to burst your bubble but good luck all the same. Flying can be one of the greatest careers a person can do. Good luck.

Passion

Hang in there.

There are a couple of jobs around that give 100 hours plus. But be careful for what you wish. 100 hours instructing is possible, you need to check with the all atps people. When i passed my ATP in ATL, the guy i flew with did about 90 to 110 hours a month, multiengine. Later on you will be able to find jobs giving you a lot of time each month. I flew for a cargo 135 company on the west cost on Metroliners and i regularly blocked 110 to 120 hours a month, this was scheduled work up and down the coast to Alaska.
It's possible, but you will be doing this for a short period of time (i did it for a year and a half) I was impressed how fatigue builds up fast and doesn't go away. The other problem is family life: no chance !

For more info pm me.

Good luck.

Instructing is a good way to build time. I worked at a flight school in Houston for 6 months an i flew at least 90 hours a month. Most of the time i was getting 110 a month. It was tough sometime but it was a lot of fun. You need to find a flight school with a lot of traffic preferably in a larger city. I was at one flight school when i first started and i was lucky to fly 5 hours a week. It is hard to find students in the boonies. Go to where the people are.
good luck!! I flew at a flight school for six months, moveed into a corporate flight department and now am flying for the airlines. I went from zero to airlines in less than 2 years. It was a lot of work but worth every bit.

Latest resources

Back