Pilot dies from hand propping his plane

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

DieselDragRacer

EL CAJON, Calif. -- A pilot died Monday after he was hit in the head by the propeller of a small plane.

The accident happened at about 8:30 a.m. at Gillespie Field, said El Cajon spokeswoman Monica Zech.

The 41-year-old pilot and a passenger began to taxi a single-engine Piper Cherokee plane out to the runway when the engine stalled, Zech said. The pilots got out of the cockpit and apparently tried to restart the engine by manually turning the propeller, but the propeller struck him in the head, she said.

"I was taught the procedure in flight school, and I've done it, but I wouldn't do it anymore," said Joe Graham, a retired airline pilot. "I'd rather get some jumper cables and jump the battery and get it started."

Graham called the procedure, "hand propping."

Pilot Daniel Wisenewski said hand propping is a very dangerous method and sometimes is used to start engine or clear carbonator.

"Most pilots are not trained on prop and most pilots are advised not to hand prop," Wisenewski said.

The man was gravely injured but still alive when he taken by ambulance to Sharp Memorial Hospital, Zech said. He died later at the hospital, Federal Aviation Administration spokesman Ian Gregor said.

The accident was under investigation by the National Transportation Safety Board, the FAA and the California Occupational Safety and Health Administration, she said.

According to an online aircraft registration database, the plane is a 4-seat Piper Cherokee PA-28R-200 built in 1974. It is registered to an owner who lives in Lakeside, Calif.

"I saw it happened," recalled one witness who spoke to Fox 5. He didn't want to share his name, but the witness said he saw the victim fall to the ground. "I just stopped. I was like a deer in headlights."

The witness said the passenger in the plane covered the victim's head with a jacket until paramedics arrived.

"I cried because I felt bad for the guy. I cried because I can't get the image out of my head."

What a shame.

Not that I haven't done it, but propping a nose dragger is hard to do safely. I own an airplane that has no electrical system (modified Smith Miniplane) which has to be propped and only has one seat. It can be done with reasonable safety, mainly because the conventional gear puts the prop where it needs to be relative to your body to do it so that you're not leaning in to the prop. Not so with any tri-cycle gear that I know of. Done properly, propping an airplane is not a dangerous ebdeavor.

Even with a flooded carbonator.

Hand propped J3s and Super Cubs with no starter by myself hundreds of times, not dangerous at all...

Keep in mind that hand-propping of tailwheel aircraft like that is safer than in a tricycle gear airplane such as the Cherokee that was involved in this accident. You have a much better angle on a taildragger.

I've propped J-3s and Taylorcrafts, no problem there with the less than 100hp motors.

When I was doing due diligence on the Cessna Cardinal that I fly now I learned from the NTSB database that our airplane had chopped a guy's leg off once when he tried to prop the 200hp I0360.

I'd never try to hand prop a 150hp+ motor in a million years.

I've propped as big as a 1340 Pratt on a Ag Cat. That was a long time ago. I don't know if I got enough azz to do now though. I agree that tail wheels a much easier and safer.

Stearman is the biggest I've done. No big deal. Also done an O-360 on a Super Cub a time or two. Huge difference between that on a cub and that on a cardinal, as discussed above.

I've propped plenty, starting at around age 16. I definitely shy away if the angle and size don't make me comfortable.

I watched a guy prop a Turbo 210 with a three blade prop. That was scary to watch!

Latest resources

Back