pilot death rates

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jpeace02

sorry for the morbid post. i've heard that pilots die earlier than other professionals but i can't seem to find the articles. can someone post a good source? and if possible the cargo pilot numbers as well. i know there is a correlation between earlier retirement versus late but i'm more concerned specfically with pilots. thanks.

sorry for the morbid post. i've heard that pilots die earlier than other professionals but i can't seem to find the articles. can someone post a good source? and if possible the cargo pilot numbers as well. i know there is a correlation between earlier retirement versus late but i'm more concerned specfically with pilots. thanks.

Our (frozen) A-plan pays an annuity. If you take the lump sum payout and divide it by the monthly annuity payout, it is 13 years. This was based on old retirement age of 60, so I'd say about 73. Maybe?

You've bought into some internet BS. There's no correlation that you refer to in the pilot profession. I've forgotten the particulars, but the guy who primarily negotiated our last contract wrote a thorough article debunking your assertion and its probable origin.

It's the same assertion that pilots die from a greater incidence of cancer. The FACTS simply DO NOT support that assertion, despite internet lore.

ALPA published a study a few years ago regarding night cargo and featured Fed Ex Pilots. Over the past 20 years, the average duration of pension payout once a Fed Ex pilot retires is less than 3 years.

You looking to marry a 63 YO retiree with a fat pension hoping to score in a few years when he kicks it?

Pilot death rates are 100%...immortailty even escapes those on FI.:D

A Bureau of Labor Statistics report released in 2005 said that airplane pilots (including bush pilots, crop dusters, airline pilots, etc.) tied loggers for having the highest on the job death rate at 92.4 per 100,000 vs a national worker average death rate of of 10 per 100,000.

http://money.cnn.com/2005/08/26/pf/jobs_jeopardy/

While I have seen mortaility tables broken out by age, race, and gender, I haven't seen one for occupation.

You've bought into some internet BS. There's no correlation that you refer to in the pilot profession. I've forgotten the particulars, but the guy who primarily negotiated our last contract wrote a thorough article debunking your assertion and its probable origin.

It's the same assertion that pilots die from a greater incidence of cancer. The FACTS simply DO NOT support that assertion, despite internet lore.

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/full/bmj;325/7364/567

A little higher on skin and prostate cancer for gummers but overall nothing drastic.

Read an article the other day that said the average life span of someone who retires at 65, lives to be 66.234 years of age. If you retired at 60, you would live to around, 75.663 years. How about that you over 60 boys?

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back