Pilot Chart Case

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

PilotRon

I am in training with a commuter airline and need to buy a good chart case.

I could use some good imput on where online to look for bags, and what is a good bag to buy..

Any and all help would be appreciated.

lunchboxes

just go to officemax/depot or staples, and look at their various catalog cases, to find one that has features you want at a reasonable price, rather than shelling out a couple three hundred for a 'chart case' that isn't much different than the 50-60 dollar ones at office supply stores

Office depot has a good one for 30 bucks that's lasted me for 2 years and counting.

The bags at Office Max, etc. are OK, but I have worn out two inexpensive bags since starting my stint at the regionals. If you treat them gently, they will last you OK, but I personally haven't found the life of a commuter pilot to be too kind on any equipment - headsets, suitcases, uniforms, etc. all seem to take quite a beating. Then again, maybe I'm just a heavy handed ape.:D

A few years ago I inherited a Scott flight bag (or chart case, if you prefer) from my pop when he retired from UAL. It had over 10 years and a bazillion miles on it when I got it, and I have beat the crap out of it tromping around the country in the 1900. It works fantastic in the Beech, as it is soft-sided and fits perfectly in the cockpit behind my seat - and this plane has VERY little room in it for much of anything. A Scott bag will set you back a couple bills, but are WAY worth it, IMHO.

Best of luck to you!

By chart case I assume you mean flight bag. Just go to staples or office max and pick up the canvas one by Heritage. It will last and they will replace it FREE when it goes in about 1.5 to 2 years. Just give them a call and they send you a new one no questions asked. After a few years get a Scott. I've got one bought in 1978 and its still goin strong.

Last edited:
Staples/OfficeMax also has a nice Cordura nylon option, it seems to have bulletproof zippers and doesn't care if it gets wet. No "clickety-clack" closure, instead two big plastic buckles on top. The nylon matches the suitcase, fwiw.

I'll cast my vote for either the $30 "pleather" case at Office Depot or the $50 "virgin vinyl" case at Staples for $50. I got the one at Staples and after a year, it's still going strong...my suitcase on the other hand is a whole 'nother story...

:mad:

Chart Cases or Catalog cases....most pilots call 'em kitbags.

Anyway, by the 3rd or 4th time you get your office depot one wet, it will start to weaken because it's cardboard. I have a scottsleather and I think they are the best in my opinion. $$ a little more, but it will last for 20+ years.... the only problem is that sometimes the black dye that they use to color the leather rubs off...you can dye it back to make it look original.

Last edited:
well, my $50 Staples model has been dragged all through the snow of Dulles and O'Hare and no ill efffects...never mind that 1 mile treck dragging it through that feb. blizzard in the NE this year...

so $50 while being a poor FO still gets my vote! rather spend my money on a good headset...my hearing I can't replace, the bag I can...

:)

Latest resources

Back