Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

PILOT CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR AIR CARRIER OPERATIONS- Public Comment Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Training only goes so far. At the end of the day, there's simply no substitute for experience. Period. Dot. End.

Military pilots are great candidates for being an airline pilot, but after having trained several fighter pilots to get their ATP cert I have found there are a lot of areas where their mil experience does not transfer to the general aviation/121 world. Weight&balance is a foreign concept, fighter pilots point the nose and push the power to go any direction they want without regards to CG. Steep turns take on a whole new meaning when they are used to the roll rate of an F-16. FARs are a completely new arena as well. Vmc is new as well, when coming from a centerline thrust jet.

That being said, what makes a mil pilot desirable as a candidate is you can give them material to study and they will come in the next day having learned the entire book cover to cover. They are extremely trainable and able to absorb huge amounts of new material faster than someone with a non-mil background. For every hour of mil flight time in their logbook they spend several hours in a classroom preparing for that flight.

True and not trying to nock the mil thing but when it comes to thinking out side of or the rim of the box, experience counts not SOP to a point. SOP and books allow you to have a guide line to operate not how to think.

People I hate to stick a bar in the spokes here but have any of you bothered to take the time to click the link and post your thought there? I can be certain that only a few can check the "yes" box to that question because the rest are too busy debating on the board, far from where real xhit can happen. Hope the original poster don't mind me reposting the link.

PILOT CERTIFICATION REQUIREMENTS FOR AIR CARRIER OPERATIONS- Public Comment Process
http://www.regulations.gov/search/Re...00006480a8faeb

We all acknowledge that change is needed. Send your thoughts and ideas where it really matters. Don't under estimate the potential of a few well directed comments.

it is a known training structure with mandatory minimum requirements.

Oh yeh,,,Then how do you explain George Bush?

Just make it an ATP and see if the safety record improves. No matter how much our egos would like the think it would, I doubt it changes at much at all.

http://www.regulations.gov/search/Regs/home.html#documentDetail?R=0900006480a8faeb

Your chance to submit your comments. Here is what I wrote:

As an Airline Pilot, I strongly feel that this proposed rule does not go far enough! A pilot with 1500 hours is a very new pilot with limited experience. The Airline Transport Pilot (ATP) Certificate (which requires 1500 hours) should be an absolute minimum qualification to earn money as a pilot in any pilot position throughout this country without exception. The fact that pilots who only hold a commercial pilot certificate can fly an aircraft for compensation needs to be addressed. There just is not enough training that has taken place for a pilot to take on the added pressures of flying for compensation when their training base and operational knowledge are so limited.

Furthermore, I am outraged to hear that exceptions are being considered to protect the universities and flight schools that have aviation programs. An aviation educational program and it's financial success should not be of a higher concern than that of the flying public's safety! The idea of having programs with training exemptions built into them is just a loophole that would put inexperienced pilots in an airline's flight deck. Just because someone reads books and takes test in a classroom on flying does not mean that he/she is capable of flying an airplane. Even with today's modern flight simulators and advanced training technics, nothing replaces the real-world experience of being trained in the flight deck of a real aircraft.

I strongly feel that these changes must take place to advance aviation safety especially at a time when many highly experienced pilots are starting to retire. Please feel free to contact me if you wish to discuss this issue in greater detail.
Thank you for this thread and posting of the link. It will take me most of a day to put my letter together, but the time is worth it.

I would encourage others to comment and to ensure that their comments are effective, please review the RULES for having public comments considered. For instance:
In this ANPRM, the FAA requests comments and recommendations on the
following concepts for the purpose of reviewing current pilot
certification regulations. The sequence of these proposals does not
reflect any specific FAA preference. When submitting comments on any of
these concepts, please refer to the specific question number.
Although I like the comment you submitted, I'm not sure it will be considered without referencing the questions asked.

Hi!

I responded to the NPRM:
I said about 5 times that ATP/1500 hours should be requied.

When they asked about reducing the hours for ERAU/UND, I said that an approved curriculum, with a quality trained instructor, should allow a University OR an FBO to reduce the 1500 hours by 10%, to 1350 hours.

They are looking at a 750 hour Commercial/121 license....I said NO! ATP.

I also noted that to get an ATP/be a 121 pilot, you should have 5-20 hours of Actual IMC time in the PLANE, and that you should have Icing and High Altitude handling training in the sim before you can get ATP/121 seat.

cliff
NBO

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back