Pilot Advice

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

J.Otto

An acquaintence in his 30's is interested in getting back into flying. His time are around 700/20, but hasn't flown for a good 2-3 years. although his CFI hasn't expired, he still needs a medical, BFR, IPC and I suppose a checkout to instruct. It would appear some multi would be needed as well.

Any advice for this individual and what their chances are on getting hired at a regional say in 5-6 months from now? He feels a little old at this point and that there's a mountain of catch-up to be had. Which regional would be a good fit for this individual in terms of experience and age?

Pros and cons of pursuing an RJ job - is it worth it?

I will say it now, because everyone else will.

Tell him to stay with his job and fly for fun on the side.

Now how I really feel. I love this job and could never see myself doing anything different. Tell him to go for it.

An acquaintence in his 30's is interested in getting back into flying. His time are around 700/20, but hasn't flown for a good 2-3 years. although his CFI hasn't expired, he still needs a medical, BFR, IPC and I suppose a checkout to instruct. It would appear some multi would be needed as well.

Any advice for this individual and what their chances are on getting hired at a regional say in 5-6 months from now? He feels a little old at this point and that there's a mountain of catch-up to be had. Which regional would be a good fit for this individual in terms of experience and age?

Pros and cons of pursuing an RJ job - is it worth it?
I am 36 and am living this exact scenario. I have 2100+TT, 500ME, an ATP, and was out of flying for 4.5 years. I start ground at RAH next Tuesday.

For me, I couldn't see myself doing my previous job for the next 28+ years, but I could easily fly in some capacity for that same timeframe. My wife and I have no kids, decent savings, low debt, and can relocate at will. My decision might have been more difficult if that was not the case.

A regional airline is no way of "getting back into flying". Go get some currency, then ask what to do next.

I 2nd that comment prior to this one. You will not know what hit you when you show for training.

A regional airline is no way of "getting back into flying". Go get some currency, then ask what to do next.

Why not let that regional airline finance his "getting current?" as long as there isn't a monster training contract stick around for 6-12 months get some good experience and go corporate if thats where he wants to go...

Why not let that regional airline finance his "getting current?" as long as there isn't a monster training contract stick around for 6-12 months get some good experience and go corporate if thats where he wants to go...

Because there is a good chance that he may wash out of training because he isn't current. He will then have to explain that blackmark in every interview.

Hiring will come to a screeching halt in the next 4-5 months. With the price of fuel things are going to get very bad.

Latest resources

Back