Pilatus Porter jump pilot salary?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

capnflyright

Anyone have an idea what a jump pilot on the Porter could expect? How about flying the airplane in other capacities? Thanks.

Depends on the capacity.

Fly one in Iraq, make well over six figures. Fly for the local DZ on weekends...depends on what's available. You might make a few bucks, you might trade the flying for jumps. I always did.

Africa maybe?!?

Go get an European license (expensive and time consuming keep in mind), apply to a Zwiss company I freelance for on the Twotter, cash out (taxfree) probably $5k+/month sitting standby at an oil rig in Algeria with five weeks on/five weeks off all expenses paid. Easiest money you'll ever do. Bring lots of stuff to read and fill up your hard drive with movies. This gig is not recommended for time builders though.

Maybe not as well paid as in Iraq, but at least you won't be dodging bullets. Plus lots of time home and still getting paid..

FZ

Jump pilot and salary are two words that just don't go together. Some may want to pay by the head or pay by the load.

Does anyone know which companies are operating the porter in Iraq? I've looked at Zimex and was contacted to fly the Twotter in Angola for a subsidiary they have there. They appear to be a very well operated company. Thank you for the posts thus far...The reason I asked for a proper salary for a porter jump pilot (having flown jumpers by the load already) is that the company asked me what salary I'm looking for.

Back when I flew the twin otter for skydiving I made 10 dollars per load, 100 dollars a day minimum, 500 dollars per week minimum.

Only a few dropzones (like Perris Valley, Deland, and Skydive Arizona) have pilots on an actual salary.

I'd guess $10 a load, don't forget about Skydive Dallas pilots on salary.

I've looked at Zimex and was contacted to fly the Twotter in Angola for a subsidiary they have there. They appear to be a very well operated company.

It appears you have your mind set on the Porter. From my colleagues I have heard it's a lot of fun to fly, real flying.
If you do change your mind and go for a Twotter job I can confirm Zimex is quite a good company. If all companies held their standards aviation would be a so much better place to be. Despite paying rather good tax free money they are experiencing a shortage (good for me as free lancer) on guys willing to spend weeks at a time in the desert, sometimes with very little flying. Not a whole lot to do when living in a 12x12 container with nothing but sand around you.

As far as the operation in Angola I have no personal experience, but I have talked and flown with several guys who do. It seems like it was a good place to be but plenty of politics involved. The local pilots seem to do what fits them and safety is way down on the list. Money is even better than at Zimex. Not sure about the base salary, but I believe $100/day per diem out of which you only spend a few dollars. Probably worth trying for single guy, but the weeks away are hard on family guys.

If you need any more info feel free to PM me..

FZ

$15 bucks a load is pretty standard at the dz's I've worked at. I was also given a minimum. I started in the caravan at $300 a week. Once my twotter check out was finished, it went up to $400 a week. When I finished, I was making $650 a week minimum. Doesn't sound like much but my housing expenses and a vehicle were taken care of as well (I traveled with the planes as they were leased to other places)During the summer I would often fly enough to go well over my minimum. If you're going to be full time, I would ask for $600 to $700 a week minimum with $15 a load for anything that goes over your minimum. Caravan pilots are easy to find. Finding an insurable Porter driver is more difficult. I would love to fly a porter, but they are few and far between in my neck of the woods. Have fun!

Latest resources

Back