Pilatus Pay?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

illeagle

What would a Captain/PIC of a fractionally owned Pilatus PC-12 expect to make flying 300 hours a year, based in the New York City Metro area. What is a competetive salary, any Benefits, cell phone? etc... Any info from PC-12 drivers or others is welcomed. Thanks.

For a frac?? My guess would be 45k-50k. 50k might be pushing it. Yes, crap pay. But that's fractional. Straight Part 91-85k for the NYC area.

What's the company if you don't mind my asking?

Mr. I.

Well, it's pretty easy to guess the company you're talking about. As far as crappy pay, I'm not sure. $50k to fly ANYTHING these days isn't bad. Remember.............. a job pays better than unemployment!!!!!!!!!

pc12_driver said:
Well, it's pretty easy to guess the company you're talking about. As far as crappy pay, I'm not sure. $50k to fly ANYTHING these days isn't bad. Remember.............. a job pays better than unemployment!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps you could provide the rest of us with a clue. Are we talking Plane Sense (Alpha Flying)? Are they opening a new pilot base?

Thanks for the input, no it's not AF. As far as I know AF are in based New Hampshire. This is a "new " operator loooking to get out of the piston market and into the PC-12 fractional market. He seems to think hourly pay (50 bucks an hour) is fair for 300 hours a year. That is pretty low, dang low, primary instructor low, actually. I'm in the process of getting him a reality check for pay and benefits for this position. Otherwise he'll have to outsource the flying to India... But I'm sure someone will take the job......... BTW Is Alpha Flying opening a base in the NYC area?

Last edited:
50k is good money in many parts of the midwest and south. Try buying a decent home within 50 minutes of a city on that money in the northeast or west coast. Most college graduates these days make 40k+ in their first year. Not exactly a ringing endorsement for a flying career.

Mr. I.

NY Pay

I believe AF starting pay is around 40K first year then around 44K second year, based in NH. However, their benefits are quite good. Excellent medical, dental, 401K, life insurance, etc. They do, also, provide x number of dollars for a phone. Just mentioning this as a baseline for comparison. They have been doing it since 1994 with the PC-12. And no thaey are not opening a base in the NYC area.

As far as NYC metro. Out of HPN, CDW or (god forbid) TEB. I would expect 5-10K more than this (I've lived down there) with FULL benefits. If you have to pay your own medical that $50/hr is now more like $35/hr BEFORE taxes. Not so good.

Also, you say 300hr/year. Is that for the aircraft or the pilot? I think you'll find the average frax pilot is flying considerably more than that. Is there going to be more than one Pilatus? If this is a one airplane frax I would be VERY careful.

So far, only 1 pilatus and it and the pilot would be flying about 300 hours a year. of course the chief says we'll get more planes over time, but i've been hearing that for a while. i'll believe it when i'm bringing the gear up and contacting departure in it. I'm really ready to be making more than 18k flying airplanes. also hoping to fly in something with 2 turbine engines. it would be based in cdw most likely. 50k w/benefits sounds fair to me...

Latest resources

Back