• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont - Union says airline offered pilots 'free pass' on checkrides

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I am sure they know or have a good idea who is talking to the press. It should not be to hard to figure out. The first story I have no problem with. Hey, we do not have the training for the pusher, fact. Are we getting it, yes. So what is the big deal. This second story is just being childish. We all know that the instructor in question was just kidding about the "free ride". If you have ever done a sim session with him you would know there is no such thing as a free ride from him. I really think the union is making a big mistake. They are going after the best instructor at PDT in spite of a few CAs that were downgraded. And from what I have heard, they maybe should not even be FO's. But, I was not there.

I will second all the positive comments about JP stated above. Yes, he can be emotional. Yes, he likes to talk a lot. Yes, he wants to see continuous improvement in the quality of the pilot group. Can he be somewhat abrasive at times? Sure. But having been instructed by and flown the line with him for the past 10 years, I can say that there is not a single instructor more personally invested in each pilot's professional development than JP. He cares, and cares a lot.

I will say I don't agree with him on everything. JP is not a fan of our ASAP program, and I have always enjoyed our little debates on the subject. I will also say that, knowing JP's personality, I am sure he thought he was cracking a funny little joke to the crews he was interacting with. He just cracked it to the wrong hypersensitive pilot.

That brings us to the 800 pound gorilla in the room that need to be mentioned: This is less about JP than it is about this rediculous North vs South, refight the Civil War garbage. Every complaint I can remember about JP came post merger. Why is that?

Furthermore, these leaks are NOT helpful to us as a pilot group, contractually or otherwise. As a matter of fact, the first BUF news article made us look pretty dumb... We should turn the stick pushers off? Are you freaking serious?

If you want to use the press to help illuminate the issues, then fine, go to your union leadership and get Herndon invovled so the pros that we pay good money for can manage the message properly. Having armies of one running around and spouting off to the press distracts our leadership, shows that we have no control over our message and demonstrate a complete lack of pilot unity. These articles do way more harm than good in my opinion and is harmful to our efforts to negotiate a contract.

I will second all the positive comments about JP stated above. Yes, he can be emotional. Yes, he likes to talk a lot. Yes, he wants to see continuous improvement in the quality of the pilot group. Can he be somewhat abrasive at times? Sure. But having been instructed by and flown the line with him for the past 10 years, I can say that there is not a single instructor more personally invested in each pilot's professional development than JP. He cares, and cares a lot.

I will say I don't agree with him on everything. JP is not a fan of our ASAP program, and I have always enjoyed our little debates on the subject. I will also say that, knowing JP's personality, I am sure he thought he was cracking a funny little joke to the crews he was interacting with. He just cracked it to the wrong hypersensitive pilot.

That brings us to the 800 pound gorilla in the room that need to be mentioned: This is less about JP than it is about this rediculous North vs South, refight the Civil War garbage. Every complaint I can remember about JP came post merger. Why is that?

Furthermore, these leaks are NOT helpful to us as a pilot group, contractually or otherwise. As a matter of fact, the first BUF news article made us look pretty dumb... We should turn the stick pushers off? Are you freaking serious?

If you want to use the press to help illuminate the issues, then fine, go to your union leadership and get Herndon invovled so the pros that we pay good money for can manage the message properly. Having armies of one running around and spouting off to the press distracts our leadership, shows that we have no control over our message and demonstrate a complete lack of pilot unity. These articles do way more harm than good in my opinion and is harmful to our efforts to negotiate a contract.

I agree with the above too. There are much better ways to handle the whole thing than crying wolf...
The little boy that is crying wolf to the press is going to get his a$$ beat by the PDT pilots too, not just by the check airmen. The whole thing does tend to make the place look second class.

the stick pusher are only on the 300 and Q400, not the 100/200, right??

It's been a while since i flew a 200 but i believe that is in fact true.

It seems like Piedmont Pilots are a close knit group of people.

The only thing I miss about not being there anymore are the people.
Awesome group of guys & gals! Management doesn't know how good they Fu(kin have it............

Latest resources

Back