• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont Hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No you don't get pushed around in the NYC Area. If anything we get slowed all the time.
The things you can do in the Dash 8 are incredible. You could be 3000' on a 3 mile final and still stick it on the numbers.
You can take off from Hilton Head with 33 pax and be off the ground in 1500 feet.
I liked our reply last winter during a snow storm. Piedmont say breaking action! Our reply......... Sorry we didn't have to use brakes :)
The Dash 8 is a very, very forgiving airplane.
Dash 8 200/300 have the UNS-B's. The 100's have the old KNS660's.

I can make an airplane (even *gasp* an RJ) do some 'incredible' things too but I got all of that 'incredible' stuff out of my system flying GA airplanes. Nowadays my goal is to get them there safely, quickly and with as little drama as possible. It may not be as 'incredible' but it's a heck of a lot more professional. The reason you generally don't see mainline a/c doing 'incredible' things is judgement. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

BTW, we once had to do a go-around in LaGarbage because a Trash-8 couldn't figure out how to execute the Expressway visual and clear before he crossed 4/22. Incredible.......

Last edited:
I can make an airplane (even *gasp* an RJ) do some 'incredible' things too but I got all of that 'incredible' stuff out of my system flying GA airplanes. Nowadays my goal is to get them there safely, quickly and with as little drama as possible. It may not be as 'incredible' but it's a heck of a lot more professional. The reason you generally don't see mainline a/c doing 'incredible' things is judgement. Just because you can doesn't mean you should.

BTW, we once had to do a go-around in LaGarbage because a Trash-8 couldn't figure out how to execute the Expressway visual and clear before he crossed 4/22. Incredible.......

We got some bush league pilots just like anywhere else. The trash 8 knows how to do anything except go fast in cruise.

Things that are incredible for an rj are boring for a dash...not that it's unprofessional or unsafe, it's just a fact you can do more with a dash and still be safe.

I've been on the jumpseat of a main line flight and saw them reach 370 knots at 3000 ft on a go around.

You're missing Surf's point, you can decend faster, stop shorter and turn tighter in a dash, pilot skill being equal. Professional? Get a clue. Surf is one of the most professonal pilots I've flown with.

Things that are incredible for an rj are boring for a dash...not that it's unprofessional or unsafe, it's just a fact you can do more with a dash and still be safe.

Slam dunking from 3 miles out at 3000' may be in your comfort zone but I guarantee you nobody in the back is feeling safe. That's what I mean when I say just because you can doesn't mean you should.

You're missing Surf's point, you can decend faster, stop shorter and turn tighter in a dash, pilot skill being equal. Professional? Get a clue. Surf is one of the most professonal pilots I've flown with.

No you're missing the point. I'm not questioning Surfs' skill or safety.
This isn't a question of which airplane can do what. It's a question of whether or not you should do something just because the airplane is physically capable of doing it. Why do you think pax have an unreasonable fear of t-props? Compared to their last flight on a 737 the t-prop high downwind, tight turn to final, slam dunk with a max reverse decel to make the first turnoff is a nightmare. They don't understand. From a pilot's point of view that's fun. From their point of view it's terrifying.

Last edited:
Point taken but it doesn't make it unsafe. Passengers may not understand but pilots do, and that's the point being made, it's fun as hell to fly.

You just know the limitation of your plane! I was in a mainline jumpseat on a boeing 737 and the captain showed me some cool stuff. Unsafe??? No... He just has the time and knows the limitations of his plane.
There are thing I know I can and can't do in a Dash. You got some learning to do boy. :)

you mean you couldn't handle/figure out how to space yourself out - basic airmanship.

And I read the tread of a few RJs guys can't avoid P-56 in DCA also. Whew!! Trash 8 guys can figure that out. Hmmmm..

Anyway its all good!

Latest resources

Back