• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Piedmont/Allegheny rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My original post was not to you FR8mastr, I was asking if LR25 thought the dash was a difficult airplane to fly. (check page 2 of this thread)

You are very trusting if you think the experience these posters claim to have are truthful representations. As for me, I haven't updated my profile in a while. I fly for PDT, and the other day I was harassed on a Line Check for flying the airplane faster than the profile in the book calls. I was flying the ILS at 160 to the marker and 130 knots the rest of the way.

I am not saying that it ought to be flown that slowly, but it is the only profile this check airman would allow. I told him exactly what any line pilot would "This is too slow for real life environment". The check airman said that ATC can adapt to me so I shouldn't fly faster than the profile. I guess I can earn an extra .1 flight pay that way.

I do have one question for you, although I don't know what aircraft you flew freight in, do you think it really was better than flying during the day, in a jet, for a part 121 carrier? Even if that carrier is contracted and not owned by a major? Also I don't believe TSA ever had pay for training.

CRJ versus DHC-8

After flying the Dash for PDT and now the CRJ for PCL I can sort of add .02 to this contest...

Yes, the DHC can do 90 something Kts, but your only that slow when you have to (usually ATC directed) or for some other specific reason.

The CRJ starts the approach phase at 200 kts, about 160 at the FAF and usually 140 over the fence. I remember the DHC-8 profile being 160 or so down to about 130-140 (depending on model) at the FAF and anywhere from 110-120 over the fence.

Does it really matter?

Comfort... I personally think the DHC-8 cockpit is slightly bigger, in the cabin, about the same, maybe if your sitting in the last row in the middle seat you got a bit more legroom than the rest.

Which is harder? Well, they are different... The CRJ you manage more, the Dash you fly more.

I don't think I could judge one to be "better", "harder", or requires "more skill" to fly than the other.

As a point... Mesa has filled RJ's with lower time guys as has PDT with guys from UND. Both companies hired people with only CFI background, so to quantify the skills required is a non argument.

Eddie, sorry about your check airman, we have a couple of those also.

As far as the freight vs. 121 that requires a breakdown. Pay and benefits this job wins hands down (the only reason I am here) as far as the job, freight wins totally! A jet would be nice but in the big picture I really dont care I just want some time off and a respectable pay check. flying the canceled checks I was working 4 nights a week, weekends and holidays off, and all bank holidays off. Mon thru thurs. I left my apt at 10 at night and was back in my apt at 5:30 in the am. Also the personal part of the flying was, to me, much more fulfilling. Just me, the AC, and a job, and only a fraction of the BS we have to put up with here. but like I said at the beginning this is where the paycheck is, so I live with it. Trans states was just an example, in that case if I would have been hired there I would have cut my pay in more than half so I could sit in the right seat of a 1900 or junkstream. Again just me, but no thanks. My last freighter was the rice rocket

I can relate to FR's frieght days and I to also flew the rice rocket before going to PSA.

The nights flying cancelled checks around in TX, OK and AR, where some of the best times of my life. 121 flying is very diffrent, however, quality of life is somewhat the same. I didn't have to commute with my freight job and do with my current position. Pay? hmmm, about the same depending on what I fly for the month.

Which did my wife like better? The frieght job. Which do I like better? PSA. Why? Still working on that.

I liked flying the MU-2. Good experince and alot of time by yourself (mostly). I also like the Dorker and find it alot easier to fly then the MU-2 which i think FR can relate to.

MU-2's a good airplane if it dosent try to kill you like shedding blades over Houston. I have yet to lose a blade in the Dork. Hopefully I never will.

AMEN Fr8master. Some of the funnest times I've had in aviation was flying checks in a Chieftain and sweating the 001OVC & 1/2SM all by myself in the middle of the night. Yep, we also had an identical schedule 10pm and home by 6:30 am Mon-Thu.

You said it man.. 135 rules. I was just after the quality of life here. If I didn't get hired by Island Air, I would have most likely stayed at Ameriflight and gone up the ladder.

As for how tough is it to fly DHC-8 overall, I'd say flying a Chieftain was tougher than flying a DHC-8. It's just my opinion. I find Dash 8 to be one of the most forgiving airplanes I've flown, although I've seen people make it sound a lot tougher than it really is.

My .02 cents.

I only flew a c310 when I flew freight, but the 4 nights a week was great. I don't think it would be easy to find another job like the one I had (6pm to 3am).

I just get tired of guys saying how tough the dash is to fly. It is the easiest plane I've flown in 5 years (except maybe if there is an engine failure with the loss of hydraulics). I can see why so many companies keep them.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back