Piedmont/Allegheny rumor

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Brother Francis,

Thanks, and I forgot to give an example of an airline where Onelist actually works. "BahamasAir" Not a huge company and they do have their share of problems, but they mannage to have DH-8s and 73s flying together with ONE pilot group flying them.

Some say Onelist is impossible and there it is already working.

Good Luck to you to.
:)

Newsouth... Shut Up

Ok. Maybe we will be squeezing the nickle. But only because you bunch of spineless bastards ALLOW yourselves to be subjected to sweatshop labour rules. Seriously, if it wasn't for you bunch of flight instructors getting all excited to fly those lawn darts for less than the kid in Brazil made to build your plane, maybe we would all be in a little better position to bargain.

We are proud of the fact that every time we put on our uniform to fly passengers, we are guaranteed something for our time, even if the weather is bad or the plane is broken. You may think it's a bad thing, but it sure is a good feeling to be able to pay the rent.

Remember... Go-around isn't an option... Be safe.

I've been monitoring this thread with interesest and I have this question for the PDT'ers who resent their contract brethren:

When applying to PDT for a job, how many of you also sent resumes to the contract carriers? If you're like most aspiring airline pilots, I would venture to guess that it's the majority of you, just like the pilots at [insert name of least favorite contract carrier] sent resumes to PDT, PSA and ALG.

I'm a low-time pilot and I don't work for an airline (yet). Would I prefer to fly for a company like Comair versus Mesa? Sure. Would I fly for Mesa if they happen to be the first to call? Sure, since they may be the only one to call. You see, we have to play with the hand we're dealt. We have opted to work in an profession where we don't have the luxury to pick and choose. Remember PDT'ers, you could just as easily be wearing a Mesa or CHQ hat.

I'm not picking sides here, but just trying to point out that this infighting in pointless and a waste of energy that could be diverted to more useful causes.

LR25 -- I hope you weren't being serious when you wrote this.

What, a Dash is a piece of junk becuase it has props, granted, it aint as sexy (to the pax) as a RJ, but come on, it takes a whole lot more skill to fly the Dash than any RJ, not to mention more comfortable than an RJ also, or 737.

The Dash is like a 172. You don't fly an ILS at 110 knots in an RJ. Unless you've flown the RJ and 737, I imagine you are going by what others have told you. If you have flown those planes, then I question you ability to accurately judge aircraft.

Flew an ILS into DCA on Friday at 230Kts Indicated In a Dash. 50 knot wind on the tail, (thats right 280 over the ground) Its not your typical 172! Oh, and by the way, flown a 73 also. Great Airplane.

flying lesson #1 Who flies an ILS at 110 kts.? in the real world unlike what they teach at embry riddle and the like ILS's are flown usually starting at 160 or greater depending on traffic and the airport, constantly slowing untill over the numbers at 110 in a Dash 8 This is done so that the slow dash will fit in with the larger aircraft that usually fly at 120-130 on final. Not that this is that difficult to do, but it is certainly not a 172.

I for one did not apply to anyone other than PDT and ALG, PDT never responded to me and ALG hired me. A few years prior to that I had an interview at Trans states that I did not even go to. Why? Because I would not work under those conditions. I always said I would fly frieght untill I died before I would whore myself out or pay for a job!! So, no sir we did not all apply to anyone that has an airplane. That being said I personally do not blame the pilots for what the company does. The pilots just go where they are told. The only exception is the buy your job crowd and I have nothing but contempt for those individuals. In my opinion the buy your job crowd have done more damage to the industry the JO at Mesa has ever done.

So my question still stands, is the dash really more difficult to fly than the rj?

I doubt it.

By the way, at PDT the "standard" ILS is flown at ref+20 (115kts) to ref+10 (105kts) at 1000ft, and ref (95kts) at the threshold. It will fly faster of course, but these speeds are much slower than most other turboprops.

P.S. The speeds I quoted depend on the weight of the aircraft, I was just giving a common example.

I think you are missing my point entirely, nobody flies these aircraft that slowly, I dont give a rat's @ss what the book says. Just because the dash can fly around at 90 kts does not mean that is the speed you fly it. Besides by looking at the AC you are flying how do you know what the PDT "book" says? And I never said the tprops were that difficult to fly just that there is a big difference in speed between the Dash and a 172

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back