Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dep676

My Glock is bigger!!!!!
I read the post about picture on resume and get that it doesn't seem like a good idea. But once you got the interview what about a picture of the family in a folder of stuff. Folder includes copies of your license, medical, LOR's and copy of your degree. Just at the end of this have a picture of your family with a paragraph introducing them. Just a small 3 x 5 picture and 4 or 5 line bio of your family. My neighbor has something like that when he goes for interviews. Seems to be good for him. He isn't in the aviation industry though.

Any advice? Good or Bad.

Why would I want to let them know right out of the gate just how dysfunctional and truly uncanny my family is?

Besides both my bothers are so ugly they could scare the wet out of water.

:D

Family pix

It's not a good idea. Aviation interviews tend to be standardized and ritualistic. Any deviation might label you as . . . well, non-standard. Aviation doesn't like non-standard.

The interview will be about you and not your family. I would doubt that an interviewer would even ask about your marital status or family because such questions would be discriminatory. This is especially true for females.

Just bring the standard stuff. Logbooks, certificates, medical and LORs. Proof of employment at each job. 135 letters. A copy of your college transcript. 141 graduation certificate. Proof of citizenship or right to work in the U.S. Driver's license. Maybe even driver records. It may not be a bad idea to bring extra copies of your app and resumes in case H.R. didn't make extra copies for your interview board.

I've heard interview counselors say you should bring the resume copy so you can crib off it during the interview. I disagree wholeheartedly. If you need your resume to answer interview questions, you are not prepared. You are, or should be, the foremost expert there is on you.

Good luck with your interview.

Re: Family pix

Originally posted by bobbysamd:
It's not a good idea. Aviation interviews tend to be standardized and ritualistic. Any deviation might label you as . . . well, non-standard. Aviation doesn't like non-standard.

I couldn't agree more. I saw a few "Tweety Bird" and Tobasco ties at the interviews I was invited to and, well, I just couldn't help but think to myself, "did you get a free bowl of soup with that tie? Ohh....looks good on you though!" ;) Why would you want to use something like that to help you stand out? What if the interviewer gets severe gas every time he or she tries Tobasco sauce? Bummer for you. As for your picture idea, what if the interviewer's wife just left him for some young Rico Suave F.A. and took the kids? :eek: As I said, bummer for you!

The interview will be about you and not your family. I would doubt that an interviewer would even ask about your marital status or family because such questions would be discriminatory. This is especially true for females.

Absolutely true. They're not allowed by law to ask you those kinds of questions. No professional interviewer at any company that you would want to work for (not just airlines) would ask that.

Just bring the standard stuff. Logbooks, certificates, medical and LORs. Proof of employment at each job. 135 letters. A copy of your college transcript. 141 graduation certificate. Proof of citizenship or right to work in the U.S. Driver's license. Maybe even driver records. It may not be a bad idea to bring extra copies of your app and resumes in case H.R. didn't make extra copies for your interview board.

I wrote a very clear spreadsheet, accompanied by "idiot proof" comments (so even I could understand and explain them ;) ) detailing how I arrived at the hours I quoted in my resume and applications (somewhat complicated with military-to-civilian conversion, "other" hours, PIC time, etc.). I needed to be comfortable explaining how I logged the hours I had, just in case there was a discrepancy that came up in the review of qualifications. Turns out I had made a slight error transcribing two numbers, and the steely-eyed interviewer found it and asked me about it. So I whipped out my spreadsheet, and, when I finally got my knees to stop shaking uncontrollably....calmly.... pointed out my error. (I'm getting all sweaty right now thinking about that episode.) The nice interviewer made the correction, offered me a shot of Jack Daniels, and sent me on my way. (OK so I made up the part about Jack Daniels...it was Wild Turkey.)

I've heard interview counselors say you should bring the resume copy so you can crib off it during the interview. I disagree wholeheartedly. If you need your resume to answer interview questions, you are not prepared. You are, or should be, the foremost expert there is on you.

During one of my interviews, the first question I got was about how I liked my job as a flight examiner. Well, I had never been a flight examiner. Nor did my resume or anything on my applications indicate that. So I was faced with the delicate but crucial task of telling this to the interviewer in a way that would not put him/her off, and would still allow me to answer in a positive way. Somehow, and I'm still wondering exactly how, I managed to pull that off. I'm glad I didn't resort to "hey, why don't you read my resume!" or somthing like that :rolleyes: So I agree with bobbysamd on this one. You will want to carry a resume with you, but not to use as a pony or a crutch. Best of luck!
:)

Don't ever , ever , ever do something like that. This is an interview about you. Like someone else said, what if one of the guys is gay and interprets that as look at my nice conservative family and the hr gal just got left for a 20 something and hates families get the point. Don't bring up your wife, your kids your dogs none of that.
And as far has having to cheat with your resume that would come across as just plain lazy. Take out your ap and your resume and and all that background info and write a good one page easy to read biography and then spend plenty of time with that. Prepare Prepare Prepare those that do get the jobs.

resume

First of all, when I interview, I also bring 3 or 4 copies of my updated resume. Usually the copy the company has is at least a little out of date. Many times I have seen interview boards try to work off of a single copy. I offer then a copy or two of my update. Seems to work.

The picture. DON'T DO IT. I feel it would give the interviewers the impression of your divided loyalities. While it might not be true, it does give the impression that when push comes to shove, you might pick your family over your job. And I don't mean necessarily big issues either. I just feel that you would be sending confusing signals to the interviewers.

I know the horse is dead on this issue, but I'll chime in! I spoke with a few ladies in the UPS HR department the other day when I was getting fingerprinted. They screen resumes and commented on this very topic. They said that having your picture or family photo on the resume or enclosures is a very very bad idea!

Latest resources

Back