Picking up clearance

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

turboprophead

How do you guys handle taking off and landing from uncontrolled airports where you cant pick up FSS on the ground to get your clearance? Are you picking up in the air, canceling early? Is it an OpSpec thing or a Operations Manual thing that will allow you to cancel early or pick up in the air? Thanks for the help.

How do you guys handle taking off and landing from uncontrolled airports where you cant pick up FSS on the ground to get your clearance? Are you picking up in the air, canceling early? Is it an OpSpec thing or a Operations Manual thing that will allow you to cancel early or pick up in the air? Thanks for the help.
Call FSS or the local controlling agency on the phone and get a release

Cancel in the air so you do not for get. Pick it up in the air when there is no crazy airapace around when possible. Since I am out of my flt service area I never get the right station with the cell although there is usually a pay phone to call with. Ofcourse it all depends on wx. My company allows us to get it in the air within 50 mi of the airport and cancelling is our own call.

You can:
1. Ask the FBO for a local number to call for your clearance.
2. Try the old fashioned way of calling FSS over the radio/vor (if one is available).
3. Try calling the last freq. you were talking with ATC on your way in.
4. Use your cell phone and ask FSS to connect you to the local FSS.
5. Take off and get it in the air. (Not recommended)
6. Get your clearance on the way in with a hold for release if you know its going to be a quick turn
7. Call FSS from a landline before you go out to the plane and get a hold for release or an actual clearance if they'll give it to you.

I'm sure there are others, I just cant think of them right now.

You can:
1. Ask the FBO for a local number to call for your clearance.
2. Try the old fashioned way of calling FSS over the radio/vor (if one is available).
3. Try calling the last freq. you were talking with ATC on your way in.
4. Use your cell phone and ask FSS to connect you to the local FSS.
5. Take off and get it in the air. (Not recommended)
6. Get your clearance on the way in with a hold for release if you know its going to be a quick turn
7. Call FSS from a landline before you go out to the plane and get a hold for release or an actual clearance if they'll give it to you.

I'm sure there are others, I just cant think of them right now.

I tried #3 first today, then #4, then #2.

Shoulda done #2 first. Voice quality was perfect. Also seems they like you to be done with the run up first if you are gonna catch them on the radio. Had the first engine running, the second one didn't wanna go. But it did!

I tried #3 first today, then #4, then #2.

Shoulda done #2 first. Voice quality was perfect. Also seems they like you to be done with the run up first if you are gonna catch them on the radio. Had the first engine running, the second one didn't wanna go. But it did!

They usually want you to be ready to roll as soon as they give you the clearance. Sometimes they get pissy if you need a few min to get ready. A lot of times they'll just say call them back when you are #1 ready to go. It all depends on their mood and workload.

Our Flight Releases have all of the local FSS numbers, we generally call on the ground with the company cell phone. Sometimes late night or early in the morning center will give us an expected clearance route and a squawk to come up on when we takeoff. IFR we call. Our company we have to pick it up with in 50nm, and can cancel IFR within 10nm of the field.

They usually want you to be ready to roll as soon as they give you the clearance. Sometimes they get pissy if you need a few min to get ready. A lot of times they'll just say call them back when you are #1 ready to go. It all depends on their mood and workload.

Depends on the airport. Small podunk airport in the middle of the night, I've had center give me 30 minutes to be airborne.

Also you can print a list of FSS 877 numbers from the FAA.gov site so you can call the proper FSS directly. Things go much faster.

Ours Ops Spec says no airborne pick-ups or cancellations Part 135. Cell phone helps tremendously.

nothing wrong with #5

picking up in the air was the only way we could make up time flying commuters, of course if it's clear. ops specs determine it, so why not.

if you're in underlying class b, or near moutainous, well not the best choice.
too many CFITs from not maintaining vfr. or the min Vec Alt.

but #5 is okay , doesn't mean you're unsafe.

the easiest is to ask the same guy for the outbound, when you call airport

it was always automatic, and you got a squawk, and a heading or altitude.

Latest resources

Back