PIC turbine time

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

no1pilot2000

When an airline (SWA, Delta, etc.) require pilot applicants for that important PIC turbine time, does it matter whether that time is in a turbo prop or turbo jet.

not really that important (jet over turb.). splitting hairs and looking at times only jet may trump but it depends on the situation/flying.

In todays airline interview game (TMAAT format) your times/exp/job history and recs get you the interview - once at the interview it's all about you/your performance in the limited time/questions you have with the hr and chief pilot/training guys.

Here at Delta I know guys from CommutAir that were Beech 1900 captains. I left for xjet and upgraded there but they beat me over to Delta. At the time I thought it was the right move but you never know. I also know some Skywest Brasilia guys that made the move to Delta. I can't speak for SWA though.

Certainly seems to make a difference at the moment...

Jetblue and Delta have both been caught at job fairs saying to highly experienced prop guys, "Get some jet time and reapply" over the past year or so. Obviously they didn't care back in 07/08, and I'm sure they won't once the glut of guys wanting to go to majors lessens. Still freaking annoying though.

This is one of those things that I hear every now and then, but its always a "Jim told me he heard from Sarah who heard from this jumpseater guy..."

Never found it to have any merit.

The reason I ask this question is that some CFI's I know want to get beyond instruction and move to a jet job with a larger airline or perhaps fractional job. They were given the advice to get turbo jet and not prop time to become more marketable to companies in the future. Both are headed to an airline pilot career fair on the west coast and applying online to the different jet regionals that are currently hiring.

For your CFI friend I would say go to a company that looks like a reasonable time to upgrade. Jet / Turbo-prop. I would think 1000 PIC in a Q-400 would be equal to 1000 PIC on an ERJ.

I got hired on with a major with 1500 PIC SAAB 340 time. That was in 2007. Don't think that would really make a difference where I work.

Just keep growing as a pilot- and never be above your career in any way- Turbine PIC is important- get that knocked out 1500 TPIC is like a degree- once you got it - can't be taken away- then explore and grow as much as you can in whatever area interests you- jets, bigger jets, or stay in your plane and be a check pilot- just stay as challenged as the industry will let you-

If you bypass known opportunities- expect to explain that-
Other than that- enjoy the ride and each plane you fly- there are many paths to the same spot- few of which include lazy or "comfortable"

Then the other posters are right- it's then about YOU as a person- many good pilots haven't been hired bc they weren't well rounded interesting "together" people-
As my uncle said:' I didn't become successful just bc I worked harder- but bc I smiled and laughed while I worked harder-'

Last edited:
I would take the first opportunity that comes you way turbo prop or jet. Both PIC times will get your foot in the door at FedEx or SWA. I know it's a race and getting the seniority number with what you hope to be your last airline is the goal. But there is something to be said for enjoying the ride along the way. From my experiences, I had the most fun and got the greatest reward from turboprop flying. It didn't pay as well obviously, but offered challenges like short field landings/VFR flying/ navigating at the WORST possible altitudes for ice/T-storm avoidance. Hard to quantify that experience.

Yep- What Wave said.

Latest resources

Back