PIC Turbine jobs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

flight-crew

Does anyone know of a place where I can go to get some quick PIC turbine time? I'm not really picky as it could be anything from flying jumpers out of a King Air, flying a Caravan, or cargo in a ragged out Metro. Location isn't a problem either. Thanks in advance for any leads.

What is your experience, and what are your qualifications?

If you're looking to build time, just write it in your logbook.

If you're looking to build experience, that's a different matter. Your personal qualifications make a big difference in what you might be eligible for.

You may wish to keep in mind that most companies serious enough to be flying turbine equipment aren't looking for people to hire in order to get them some "time." They're looking for dependable sincere professionals who want to provide good service to the company.

Also bear in mind that a lot of professionals are seeking work right now as a means of surviving, feeding their families, and of living. In an industry where things have again become scarce, folks flitting in and out to build "quick time" can have a bit of a grating effect. Jobs aren't as easy to come by for now; it would bother me as a professional to know that I lost out to someone just looking to build some "quick time."

Sheesh...I sent resumes and did callbacks on every drop zone in the continental U.S. with turbine equipment. Not a single one wanted a guy with 1400 hours transport category turbine time. Most of the large drop zones had pilots with 4000 turbine and over 1000 jumps themselves. Darn adrenaline junkies ;)

I had a similar experience. I have 700 turboprop and 900 jet, but when I went to a local drop zone, he said that he only hires his own jumpers to fly. I even have 300 hours flying jumpers. Skydivers are very picky about who they fly with, and the best way to get that job is to be a skydiver. Alternately, the second best way is to fly their Cessna for a couple of seasons. Almost nobody just walks in to fly the turbines. There are always two or three guys waiting ahead of you to fly the larger planes. Perhaps one of those freight companies flying single pilot metro's will take you. My roomate flew for Superior, and it worked out pretty well for him. Good luck to you.

Turbine time

I appreciated Avbug's response. Yeah, everyone wants turbine time. It doesn't grow on trees and you have to earn the opportunity to get it. You also have to be available when the opportunity strikes.

I spent many afternoons after work helping a C90 pilot I had known for a few years wash and wax his airplane in return for the promise of flying with him and building hours. The Kingair was under 12.5 gross, so it would have counted as PIC. Well, he did take me up a couple of times. I logged maybe an hour. Some other pilot wanting to build time who had better availability flew with him more and got more. My problem was I needed my day job to (1) eat, (2) pay bills and (3) pay to finish my ratings. The pilot apologized to me later for not taking me up with him more.

:( Oh, well ..........

Last edited:
Which PIC Turbine jobs would have the lowest hour requirements? (I'm guessing something in a Caravan or Pilatus). Dropping jumpers is probably too specialized. Thanks again in advance.

Turbine time

Look for a company using a flightcrew system. Just because it is a single engine turbine doesn't constitute easier access to a pilot position. The PC-12 goes for $2.5-3 million dollars. A nice Metroliner goes for $500,000-1 million. The insurance company will want substantial PIC time to qualify to fly the PC-12 vs. SIC in a metro. That said, there is a fractional in the northeast which uses PC-12's and also utilizes SIC's(you even get paid). Southern Florida is a haven for turbine aircraft so check for a list of operators down there. There are several operators in the Northwest as well. Western Air Express operates metros and c-402's.

Latest resources

Back