Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

givpicachanc

Dear Fellow Pilots,
Happy New Year and may all of you Get your dream job. Here is the Question- Student is private certificate holder and he is appropriatly rated in the airplane but he doesnt have his Instrument rating. If he is flying with his instructor(CFII) in actual conditions can the student log the actual time as PIC or not? Thanks a bunch for y'alls time.

Think about it. How could you log PIC if you're not instrument rated and in IMC while receiving dual instruction? Who is calling the shots? Are you? No. Now, you can log the actual instrument time, but log it as dual received. I would never log PIC if I weren't the "real" PIC of the flight, which is the CFII in your case. The few hours you might gain in your logbook aren't worth the explanation you might have to do during an airline interview.

Yes, it can and should be logged. Using pireps' logic, the student could never log PIC when with a CFI because they're never calling the shots (acting as PIC). Any pilot may log PIC time when they are the sole manipulator in an a/c for which they are rated. Period. Nothing to explain in interviews or anywhere else. The acting PIC is an entirely different matter...

I stand corrected, you guys are all correct, I haven't looked at 61.51 in a while, thanks for keeping me humble...

Latest resources

Back