Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

402driver

Question:

How does PIC multi-engine recip. time (FAR 135 scheduled passenger) time compare with SIC multi-engine turbine time (FAR 121 scheduled passenger)?

Thanks for the feedback.

:D

Have to agree with PHX767.

PIC multi is far more valuable than SIC multi - doesn't matter if it's recip vs. turbine.

PIC multi v. other time

Absolutely. Multi PIC, of any kind, carries more weight than other time.

BUT WHY???

Ya Know, in my mind, it would seem like a guy with lotsa PISTON twin time would be the better pick. Anybody who can successfully START a turbine anything can fly it without breaking it. Proven fact. But, guys who have a lot of time in 402's, Navajo's, DC-3, DC-6, anything with turbocharged recips or (Dear Gawd) radials; older fragile engines which have to be babied to prevent shock cooling, and which are prone to the occasional failure.....seem like the kinda guys I'd want in my big expensive jet. If they can fly stuff like that gently, and deal with the occasional problems, they surely can handle a little candy-a$$ turbine.

Starting turbines

Certainly. That's the point of view I maintained for myself for years. Just the same, I pity the poor soul who hot-starts a turbine.
:(

Seems to me that they're BOTH good... But specifically, you should start to think of bigger and better at some point. A thousand hours of PIC time in a 402 is great, but anything beyond that is wasted. If you DON'T move into a turbine-powered aircraft, well, at the very least you look like you lack initiative and/or ambition. Get your four digits worth of multi-PIC and then run up your turbine time. That's my suggestion.

Most of the apps I see for the larger carriers specify PIC multi-turbine as a requirement. Since typically the only way to get PIC turbine is to be SIC first...what's this broohaha about getting 1000 PIC piston multi. Get the bare mins needed to get to the regionals. Upgrade as soon as possible and move on as soon as you get your 500-1000 PIC multi-turbine.

Latest resources

Back