• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Phoenix Living

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The big areas that have been brought up to stay away from are south phx, west side, and parts of mesa (broadway and country club come to mind). Scottsdale, nice and expensive, Paradise Valley, nice, Chandler (west), nice, west side (far, far west is good). I think like most big city's, the closer you get, well that's usually the older parts of town, little more run down, section 8 housing, crime and riff raff. The farther you get, the quality of life goes up, and costs you more commute time.

One thing I have noticed being an Arizona Native, this place is not what it use to be or what many think it is when they come here. As a child I had bad asthma, here in the valley, I took a transfer for 9 years and was breathing free. I have relocated back here for the last 1.5 years, and find myself on 2 medications plus an inhaler daily. Those beautiful sunsets are not so beautiful when you know what causes them. I can remember telling all of my friends back east that it's a dry heat here, (except for july and august monsoons), well that's not the case any more since everybody has a swimming pool, tempe town lake, more golf courses than you can shake a stick at.
Driving into the city a lot of days, downtown, superstition mountains, 4 peaks, etc just enveloped in a brown haze, breaks my heart to see that crud.

Given the choice, I'd take the house 2 doors down from Kathy - - that way I'd always have somewhere to go borrow a cup of sugar!

:)

TonyC said:
Given the choice, I'd take the house 2 doors down from Kathy - - that way I'd always have somewhere to go borrow a cup of sugar!

:)
Be careful, Tony. You could be moving into my trailer park! :D

However, if you had lived next door to me, you could have had all the oranges, lemons and grapefruit you wanted. We had over 800 citrus trees at one time, in addition to 400 date palms. Made the cows nice and fat for the dinner table. Or you could have played tennis on our tennis court. You know, it was an upscale trailer park I lived in! lol

Kathy

What about Payson? I don't know much about it, and it is a way out of town, but I think it would still be drivable. More so than Prescott or Sedona. Just my thoughts.

I live in ABQ which probably has more pairings with PHX than most other city pairs. If you want to risk your job (and life) on one of Mesa's planes, there are quite a few cities that feed into PHX as well.

Stay away from payson at all costs.

Just kidding, own a cabin there, bit much for commute, 90 miles to PHX. Great small town, but it is growing every day.

North Phoenix is Jomax and 51st-67th ave area is a great area and if you live of the 17, you're about 40 min max from the airport.

The heat is over rated, it's usually dry, and the cool season is great.

Home prices are free compared to places like California or the East coast, but still high compared to the middle of the country. Homes start at the low 100's for entry level... and go into the millions. I live in a one level new construction nicely upgraded home, 3400 sq feet, 5 br, and paid $450K, in Cali it would have cost $1.5M

Good luck

Arizona Cardinals

Are Arizona Cardinal tickets hard to get?

SDF2BUF2MCO said:
Are Arizona Cardinal tickets hard to get?
Their all but giving them away... along with Suns tix.

eddie said:
what about the developing area on baseline just between 27thish and I10? I drive through there, and it looks like it's being redeveloped into a nice community.
Absolutley NOT!! This area has the highest car insurance rates in the vallley for a good reason. My roomate worked the South Mountain precinct for a while...she transfered to Maryvale so she could have time to breathe between calls!!

Anything in the 85284 ZIP code (south Tempe) is nice. Anything 85044 or 85048 (Ahwatukee) is also good.

Here's a hint.....by a house that's near a yet-to-be built freeway (southeast Chandler would be a good place to start). When that freeway is completed, watch your house's value skyrocket and thank me later.

My parents bought a house near Lindsay and Riggs (the 202 will be about 4.5 miles north in 2 years). Their house isn't even built yet and the same houses in that development are now selling for $50K more than what they paid for theirs. As of last check, they're not even certain that they're gonna be moving here now, but they're not too worried about it.:D

The commute from Surprise is looong

starchkr said:
Anyone have anything to say about Surprise on the NW side of town?? Been looking and it seems like you can get a good home for around 200K.
Just a heads up for guys commuting to PHX from Surprise. It's a mean commute since it takes so long to get from Surprise to I-10. The homes are reasonably priced up there, but do your homework first.

Latest resources

Back