Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

mnboyev

Question....

Whats with Phillie ?... Why is it, at slow traffic periods, must we taxi completely around the 'robin' east when we could go straight to the runway from K3 ? When pushing off our D gates, ramp will not allow us to go out K3... NO TRAFFIC... Doesnt happen that often I know.... However.....

Maybe I'm not seeing the big picture. ?? I know its US Air controlling ramp but ??

I've done the 'short cut' a couple of times and ground never has an issue with it?

Welcome to Philly. Keep in mind, this is the same place where the controllers throw up their hands and shut down the field and put em in holds cuz its too sunny out!

And not to sound like a frign whiner... but cmon..

We were at 500 feet and the tower wanted a radio check...??

No Kidding... I couldnt believe it.. ?? No big deal I guess .. but just not what you would see anywhere else...

It really doesnt seem like a place that would fit very well with the Orange Belly Money Maker program ?

Congrats on the one year SWA fellas. My ground crew borrowed your biffy truck a few weeks back. Thanks for being a freindly neighbor !!

It would have been a long flight to FLL with the lavs inop....

mnboyev said:
We were at 500 feet and the tower wanted a radio check...??

No Kidding... I couldnt believe it.. ?? No big deal I guess .. but just not what you would see anywhere else...

It could have been the Final Monitor checking his/her transmitter...Happens all the time in Houston. Other than that, there is no explanation for Philly. None at all.

I've had to do more go arounds at Philly than any other airport I've flown into. All on fairly sunny days. Seems they have problems with timing on intersecting runways I guess. Not really sure I'm not a controller just a glorified bus driver.

It's Philly's ground traffic management plan. Being based there for several years, it's common--just like the massive delays. It is my least favorite airport in the whole US. Gridlock at it's greatest.

A few years back, I did 3 go-arounds in a row at PHL playing the 35/27R spacing game. First one to 35, next one to 27R, one controller change, another go-around on 35. Good times.

You have to love flying in there on a clear and sunny day to do the double downwind and turn a 20 mile final with very few other aircraft around you.

Operating out of Philly can increase your block time and blood pressure as well.

Mike

What's wrong with those "double downwinds"? We're payed by the hour....remember?:D

PHXFLYR:cool:

Latest resources

Back