• Watchers 8

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree Terry,

I was jumpseating once on UAL and the Captain actually looked me up on the ALPA Blacklist. I told him there was no need for that, I was in high school when all that sh*t with Eastern was going on.

FASTGUY

You have a paying job and a lot of guys don't. It seems to me that you're better off than you think.
Just keep humming to yourself the song DON"T WORRY, BE HAPPY

There are two questions you need to ask yourself. Once you answer them, move on with your life and don't waste another second worrying about it. The answer to #2 will be the exact same as whatever you answer to #1.

1) Are you currently being paid to fly while there are numerous pilots looking for work?

2) Did you do the right thing?

Ex post facto P-F-T reaction

I will dispense with my usual Faust-inspired anti-P-F-T rhetoric. You cannot unring the bell. You did what you did. Now, you must deal with it.

You need to prepare answers to anticipated interview questions about why you did what you did. I suspect that you will encounter a few hostile interviewers who did not P-F-T and resent those who have or do. I sure wouldn't trumpet it at an interview.

I suspect that this board reflects more anti-P-F-T reality than Jim believes. More people than one might believe do not appreciate those who cut in line ahead of them with their checkbooks.

acaTerry's point is valid about P-F-T purveyors. They are the real cause of the problem and they should be dealt with. But how??

Best of luck with your career.

Re: Ex post facto P-F-T reaction

bobbysamd said:
I suspect that this board reflects more anti-P-F-T reality than Jim believes. More people than one might believe do not appreciate those who cut in line ahead of them with their checkbooks.

I won't dispute the fact that many, many, pilots out there do not like PFT or those who did, but those represented on this board are a vocal minority in the real world. For every one pilot that would verbally bash a PFT'er, there are 10 that wouldn't. Postings on a message board are a medium for everyone to express thier opinions in a open forum. No one knows who you really are, you are just a screename. In the real world you are a face and a real name. You would risk a whole lot by verbally be-rating someone in public or on a flight deck. Some pilots out ther would take the risk others will not. PFT is an unpopular choice, but when educated about it and once you understand the ramifications of what you did, it is a desiscion you can live with.

--03M

There are various opinions about what Fastguy did. Some might disagree and criticize, but few would condemn Fastguy forever as if he had crossed a picket line and taken the jobs of others on strike. Most would agree that this is not a career breaker. Airlines have many pilots that invested in additional ratings and experience after their initial training. Some will say that this is the best investment they have done. Others that stayed longer at low salaries/more basic equipment do not appreciate "paid shortcuts".

We should try to live by the standards set in our industry. It can be a funny world. Some foreign pilots can tell how their airlines have hired pilots with no previous experience. They train and even pay salaries during training (private, commercial, instrument, multi and type ratings). This is normal in several countries. Other foreign airlines have had sponsorship programs where they have paid for training and promised future jobs. Salaries for experienced instructors can reach more than 50.000 USD in some countries. I have heard foreign pilts say that they would never pay for any training and that what we do in the US is wrong. Pilots that come from such systems will naturally say that if all US pilots would refuse to pay for even private, commercial and so on, than the airlines would have to pay more. They will suggest that instructors should not work for almost anything. We seem to draw the line at the type rating and experience level. From a pilot's view we would like to see the airlines pay as much as possible. Obvious there should be a standard and this is not a suggestion to legitimize taking someone else's job, but where do we draw the line?
Who gets to draw the line?
When is it justifiable to criticize?

Last edited:
Face time with a P-F-T'er

N9103M said:
In the real world you are a face and a real name. You would risk a whole lot by verbally be-rating someone in public or on a flight deck.
Of course. For one thing, it would be unprofessional. It would be poor human relations and CRM, especially if you must fly with that person all that month.

Doing so in an interview would also look bad. I dunno if that is done in interviews; if it is done those people had forgotten that they are representing their company and are portraying an image to the applicant, who is a guest on their property.

(I attended an Express I cattle call nearly twelve years ago to this date; the captain who spent maybe five minutes with me was somewhat abrupt, which I did not care for.)

Despite your feelings for P-F-T'ers, you have to get along with them if they are your co-workers, or else you look bad. I had similar experiences in radio. I worked hard for years to get where I finally wound up, which was a major radio station in a large market. Our news directors frequently hired reporters who had little or no experience. I resented how they got where they did in such a short time, and felt they degraded the newsroom by their inexperience and/or incompetence. But I kept my thoughts to myself and worked with them - though I never really accepted many of them.

Last edited:
metrodriver said:
B190: that captain might also be looking for folks who are using an id fraudulently.

How would he verify if my ID was genuine by looking at a Scablist?

Latest resources

Back