• Watchers 14

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
commuterpuke said:
Look at all the Pinnacle RJ pilots that Gulfstream produces. Heck, their program is so good that Delta Airlines hired two of their graduates and Delta still has pilots on furlough, those two must be superior pilots.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://gulfstreamacademy.com/testimonials.php
http://gulfstreamacademy.com/testimonials2.php
http://gulfstreamacademy.com/testimonials3.php
http://gulfstreamacademy.com/testimonials4.php
http://gulfstreamacademy.com/testimonials5.php

After clicking on the first link you see testimonial letters from four captains from major airlines (3 continental and 1 American)

I cross referenced their names with the scab list and was not particularly surprised with the outcome .

I only thought Gulfstream was PFT, I didn't realize it was a training program with passengers on board.

I absolutely cringed at the "From zero time to Captain in two years..." bragging. It really makes one feel like a fry cook. I suppose that's why the pay is starting to look like fry cook pay, in general. I wonder what passengers would think if you showed them this internet ad the night before their flight?

I really can't point the finger at the student pilots. Really, they are the least clued in - by far.

Rather, I have to ask who exactly allows such a thing to occur at a part 121 airline? Who really calls the shots here? Who reviews the shots that were called and decides to keep rolling down the same track? This isn't just a Gulfstream thing. It's about the public not being told the whole story, and the FAA allowing a name brand to go on a student pilot training center while carrying paying passengers along as ignorant observers. And, of course, a mainline company making a concious decision to have their fare paying passengers being flown by temporary guys in a "program", who are not even permanent, for a lower cost basis.

Sure, these guys have passed their checkrides, etc. But with a constantly revolving door that makes really bad regionals look like 40 year careers, everyone is constantly "new" and that's where all the risk is in any operation. Reminds me of the Ford Pinto not being re-designed because Ford decided the death settlements would be cheaper than the re-design. That turned into a really neat field day for the boys at Ford.

I guess my casual musing turned into a rant. I don't wish anyone ill will - honestly. I simply don't think it is reasonable to expose an un-educated travelling public to this type of situation (truth in advertising comes to mind). It risks the credibility of the industry, and our profession.

Last edited:
DetoXJ said:
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica]"Instead of wasting my time as a flight instructor, I can fly for an airline in a period of four months and build some real time, Turbine Time !" [/FONT][/FONT]

Classic! And this guy looked like he was about 45 years old.

Classic! You misquoted him!

Instead of using my time as a flight instructor...(see page 5 of testimonials).

MECEPGrad said:
Classic! You misquoted him!

Instead of using my time as a flight instructor...(see page 5 of testimonials).
I think they changed it. I remember seeing "wasting" as well and took offense to it. Someone with the school must be monitoring this board or whatched their hits on those pages go nuts with referrals from here lol.

~wheelsup

wheelsup said:
I think they changed it. I remember seeing "wasting" as well and took offense to it. Someone with the school must be monitoring this board or whatched their hits on those pages go nuts with referrals from here lol.

~wheelsup

Nice to know they would even post a quote like that to begin with.

wheelsup said:

~wheelsup

I know that they used to have a few students that worked in marketing part-time to read this board to see what people were saying. They probably noticed that someone said something and had it changed.

Ok, maybe my math is off here...
These guys are, in essence, paying $27,684 for 250 hrs right seat in a Beech 1900, which works out to about $110/hr.
Now, before you guys get your panties all bunched up, let me say I am not at all for low or no wages for flying as a professional pilot (seems like these guys are getting paid a whopping $2000 for 250 hours, which works out to be $8/hr), however, there is another way of looking at this:
If you are looking to build time (which I am not), and have the money, it seems $110/hr for twin turbine time is rather cheap, considering a C-172 rents for, what, $85/hr?
In summary, it seems like a "reasonable" time builder, if you look at it that way, and a total rip off if you look at if from a professional pilot's point of view (getting paid $8/hr to fly as a professional pilot is utterly ridiculous, in my opinion...)
Anyway, I guess my point is that there are two ways to look at this, and both are valid, as far as I am concerned. Problem is, they clash big time...

mrnolmts said:
Ok, maybe my math is off here...
These guys are, in essence, paying $27,684 for 250 hrs right seat in a Beech 1900, which works out to about $110/hr.
Now, before you guys get your panties all bunched up, let me say I am not at all for low or no wages for flying as a professional pilot (seems like these guys are getting paid a whopping $2000 for 250 hours, which works out to be $8/hr), however, there is another way of looking at this:
If you are looking to build time (which I am not), and have the money, it seems $110/hr for twin turbine time is rather cheap, considering a C-172 rents for, what, $85/hr?
In summary, it seems like a "reasonable" time builder, if you look at it that way, and a total rip off if you look at if from a professional pilot's point of view (getting paid $8/hr to fly as a professional pilot is utterly ridiculous, in my opinion...)
Anyway, I guess my point is that there are two ways to look at this, and both are valid, as far as I am concerned. Problem is, they clash big time...

Here's a novel idea. Why don't you instuct, pay your dues, and have OTHER PEOPLE pay for your services rather than buying time? It worked for me. God forbid you actually have to work a little bit at making connections and improve yourself as a pilot rather than pull gear and be babysat or tool around the patter in a Duchess on your own dime?

But at least if you f*ck up in a Duchess you won't kill 20 other people.

Latest resources

Back