Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
westwind driver said:
milmil,

lots of good things there to think about. one of my concerns as well is the forth comming basing if I initiate an abort. Since I've come up through the CRM school of thought, and being the junior pilot, I'm not sure how to handle things such as this, or how to be assertive towards a senior pilot.

When I was younger, and attended FSI, I did have the chance to experience a pilot incapacitation and V1. Of course the captain just went limp and leaned back to his left, allowing full range movement of the yoke, so I flew the a/c.

I'll keep your thoughts and advise close in mind. I think I will include this type of thing in my mental predeparture brief.

As far as it comming from an airline captain, I'll listen to advise from those more experienced. Believe it or not, I can still learn from an airline pilot or two. :)

I was a harsh with my statements in regards to your job search post, and I apologise. I forgot to look at you as a fellow aviator, and concerned myself more with my future well-being. Selfish I know.

I know some people up in PHL, I'll ask them to keep their ears open and I'll post here if they hear of anything.

Thanks!

No hard feelings. Thanks

How was it briefed

An abort for suspected incapacitation is not where I would go. Unless the PF turns into some kind of floppy doll that is clearly in trouble, and could turn into a control blocker.

Take off briefing, "if anything happens below 80 knots we will abort. Above 80 knots we will abort for engine failure, fire, or any condition that we feel compromises the aircraft's ability to fly. After V1 we will contnue".

Breakdown in communications sometimes happen, communication is a subset of what we call CRM. Sometimes the breakdown is a two way street. Maybe we have not been heard. We need to communicate our concerns at an elevated level if no response is seen/ heard. I think I would have made a repeat of the call quite a bit louder and with some degree of authority. This may have drawn the PF back into the program. Incapacitation follows a two interrrogation rule at my workplace, then you should start assuming control. Changing the profile to something not previosly briefed for what could be a PF that simply has JT-8 syndrome is really not my personal preference.

Just my .02

westwind,

Did you talk to him about it after the event? Whether an abort, assumption of controls, or doing what you did, I think that would be pretty high on my list of things to do.

Gulfstream 200 said:
Im speechless..

anyone?....

All I can think is that the Captain was trying to commit suicide.

I would have.
Oh my God, I haven't laughed that hard in a long, long time!!!

good one!

We brief every takeoff the the T per our operations manual, and it goes like this; "We'll abort for anything below 90 kias. 90 kias up to but not including V1 we'll abort for engine fire, failure, loss of directional control, cabin and cockpit fire or smoke. At and above V1 we'll continue the takeoff, treat it as an inflight emergency and go from there."

We have never addressed an incapacitation. Think I'll bring this up at our next department meeting.

BTW, this event happened while flying contract, not on the westwind i fly full time.

Peanut gallery said:
An abort for suspected incapacitation is not where I would go. Unless the PF turns into some kind of floppy doll that is clearly in trouble, and could turn into a control blocker.

Take off briefing, "if anything happens below 80 knots we will abort. Above 80 knots we will abort for engine failure, fire, or any condition that we feel compromises the aircraft's ability to fly. After V1 we will contnue".

Breakdown in communications sometimes happen, communication is a subset of what we call CRM. Sometimes the breakdown is a two way street. Maybe we have not been heard. We need to communicate our concerns at an elevated level if no response is seen/ heard. I think I would have made a repeat of the call quite a bit louder and with some degree of authority. This may have drawn the PF back into the program. Incapacitation follows a two interrrogation rule at my workplace, then you should start assuming control. Changing the profile to something not previosly briefed for what could be a PF that simply has JT-8 syndrome is really not my personal preference.

Just my .02

Andy Neill said:
westwind,

Did you talk to him about it after the event? Whether an abort, assumption of controls, or doing what you did, I think that would be pretty high on my list of things to do.
When we got to destination I asked him if he was okay and what happened to him. He said "what do ya mean?"

I asked about his freezing up and he acted as if it never happened... ???
I haven't flown with or talked to him since.. hasn't called me for fill in work

Latest resources

Back