Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hawkerjet

Hi Guys/Gals,
I would like some info on moving a dog in an IATA approved pet crate. I have some experience moving her around in a 777 and MD80 but would like to know about the various EMB's and CRJ's. Can you transport pets in those cargo holds? Any info would be greatly appreciated. The planned trip is in May and O&D would be ABQ to ORF. Without a RJ my friend would drive to PHX for a non stop to CLT and drive the rest of the way.
Thanks in advance..

Yes, you can put pets in the cargo bin. I always hated seeing a little dog back there by the cargo bin. The APU is very loud on the RJ.

I don't know about the other carriers, but I'm pretty sure the US Express system doesn't allow pets in the back of CRJs and ERJs. They may allow them on the JungleBus, I don't know.

I do know that we can't take then on our CRJ200s and 700s because a number of years ago Mesa killed a dog or something on theirs.

(see, you knew this was going to get to Mesa Sucks soon enough)

I don't know about the other carriers, but I'm pretty sure the US Express system doesn't allow pets in the back of CRJs and ERJs. They may allow them on the JungleBus, I don't know.

I do know that we can't take then on our CRJ200s and 700s because a number of years ago Mesa killed a dog or something on theirs.

I had been told that the Mesa CRJs don't allow conditioned air to the aft cargo bin. That sounded like BS to me. Can any MAG Crj guys shed some light on that?

Without looking at our Ops Manual, I think we can take them seasonally, when shipped as Delta Dash. Something about after May 15....gets kinda hot back there in the CRJ when on the ground.

I had been told that the Mesa CRJs don't allow conditioned air to the aft cargo bin. That sounded like BS to me. Can any MAG Crj guys shed some light on that?

Conditioned air to the aft cargo bin was/is an option on the CRJ 100/200. All the crj's that we had at ACA (does anyone remember that we exsisted once anymore?) did NOT have conditioned air to the cargo bin so we couldn't carry live animals there.

At ASA I believe now they have converted all the former "blue ridge" crj's that they had to have conditioned air back there so now they CAN carry live animals.

On a related note, all former ACA crj's didn't have the low pressure air external port either...

It was true a few years ago. Some (or all) MAG 200's were missing the cargo air conditioning feed...would get to 130+ F on the ground, neagtive F at cruise. So no animals allowed in any 200.

It's very loud and not well conditioned on the airplanes that have the gear, so I'd probably put my pet on mainline or 700/900 instead of a 200 in any case.

Thanks evryone for your input. I really appreciate it. I think I'll advise my friend to drive the last 200 miles to her destination with her dog.

Thanks evryone for your input. I really appreciate it. I think I'll advise my friend to drive the last 200 miles to her destination with her dog.

Chew on this: Fido is in the back. All of a sudden the crew gets a "Cargo Smoke" warning. The memory items associated with this warning include deploying the Halon, regardless of whether the warning is good or not. Fido chokes to death. Poor Fido.

Latest resources

Back