Pet Peeves

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

BuckMurdock1

Thought I'd take a departure from airline politics and $ discussions for a moment;

Let's cathartically (and anonymously) air our flight deck grievances. ...or at least mild annoyances.

Here's mine;
"The Flap HAND-ler". Annoying from either seat. You know him, you love him: both in the sim and in real-life. It's the guy who somehow thinks that he needs to rest his hand on that dang flap handle to remind you every time it's time to configure or clean up. I'm very easy going, but-- fellas/ladies... nobodies paw should be touching that handle until its movement is ordered. Period. If you truly believe the PF has lost SA such to include the present config...then it is your duty to VERBALLY remind them...

Thanks-- who's next?

Last edited:
The "sports scores over the radio" (and then the PA) guy. And his close cousin, the always-on-the-PA guy.

Dude, nobody cares. STFU and fly.

The "I like to make changes on the opposite FMS screen." Keep your effing paws off my FMS, you got one of your own.

I like flying with Captain Dementia. He likes to center the heading bug every couple of minutes even if we are only off by a couple of degrees. The controller gives us a heading after ABCDE fix. I move the heading bug to the assigned heading while still in nav mode. A couple of minutes go by and Captain Dementia centers the heading bug again. About 1 mile from the fix, I ask what that heading was again and Captain Dementia doesn't remember. He now goes into panic mode and tries to blame me, but I remind him he was the one that centered the heading bug. It's the little things that keep me entertained when I have to fly with these guys.

My pet peeve is people who complain about stuff that doesn't really matter.

Turbo checkin. Guy or gal throws the new frequency in and simultaneously keys the mic to check in, blocking current conversations. Then, a moment later, Checks in again only to block another radio call. Like they are the only one in existence.

Tune new freq, count to 3, transmit.

I admit to doing the flap thing in sim.... After the fiftieth single engine missed, I do it because 1) I know it's coming and 2) in case the PF somehow brain farts, he can have a friendly reminder...

My biggest pet peeve is the guy who somehow has the need to explain some mundane private pilot level aspect of flying.... Yes I know how airflow over the wing works.... I also know that you'll need increased thrust to maintain the same A/S on climb. The planes may be bigger but the fundamentals remain the same.

Latest resources

Back