Personality Tests

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

ClassdAviator

I was curious as to what kind of profile airlines are looking for when they have applicants do these. I am currently enrolled in a aviation human factors course in college and we have been discussing the psychological aspect of it. I would also like to hear about what kind of tests any of you may have done for employment. Thanks!

Psychological "tests"

I took some kind of integrity test when I interviewed with Mesa in the fall of 1990. The personnel lady told us they had just started giving the tests. It was totally bogus. There were questions that were so ambiguous there was no way that anyone could answer them correctly. I don't remember the name of the test; my only recollection is that I was not especially pleased with taking that test. I do understand why such tests are given.

From the ATC test....

A buddy of mine got picked up by the FAA a few years ago... If you think airlines have interesting pyschological evaluations, you should hear about some of the exams for ATCs. Among other questions, "would you rather be at home reading a book or out in the woods with a loaded gun?"

How about one from Cathay Pacific: "Which do you appreciate more, a well written poem or a finely crafted pistol?" Or one from NWA: Ranging from "very much like me" to "not at all like me" answer this statement, "I am very whiny."

Sometimes it just comes down to answering honestly. If you try to trick the test, the test will trick you. They are not just trying to see if you are a psycho or not, but also if you will have a good fit with the corporate culture. If you do manage to pass the test and get in by being dishonest, you might not be happy with the company anyway because your personality doesn't fit with the rest of the gang they've hired.

Just try and be positive and present your best side while still answering honestly. Use some discretion though; I hope no one who said "I am very whiny" was "very much like me" is sitting at home with a rejection letter and thinking, "but I was honest." Duh!

Airlines are looking to weed out individuals who they don't believe will mesh with their company ideals or to seek the personality types they desire to employ.

Several quality flight schools, in addition to airline flight departments, issue student pilots / applicants tests which cover general knowledge, math, vocab, logic, orientation, and mechanical aptitude, and a psychological profile of the candidate.

Several parts of these tests are imposible to finish within the mandated time, and those grading the exam realize this. It is very difficult to study for such an exam as they cover really bizare topics and a wide range of areas.

Where do you go?

What college do you go to? I have a human factors class too and we just did the exact same thing...

This isn't directly related, but years ago I got a telephone interview from an employer for whom I eventually went to work. It was short and to the point. The interviewer, who was also the Director of Operations (small company, some 30 pilots), made the call. He started with a few questions about my background and qualifications. Then he asked if I smoked. I said no. He said good, then asked me if I was married. At the time, nope.

Do you have any plans to get married soon? Nope.

Are you seeing anyone seriously? Nope.

Do you have plans to be seeing anyone, soon? Not really.

Do you know why I'm asking you these questions? Yes...you want to know if I'm available to move on short notice, and the answer is yes.

No, I just want to know if you're gay.

Pause. Huh?

I don't hire anyone who is gay, or who smokes. You said you don't smoke. Are you gay? No.

I have an interview slot open on the 21st. What time can you be here?

Uh...I'll get back to you. Click.

I found out later that everyone got asked that same line of questions. I also saw someone get bounced out of groundschool when the DO found out he had gone outside to have a smoke. He was serious. I didn't care for the questions, but it was a job.

How about reading well written poetry while cleaning a well crafted pistol? I'm afraid I'd never get hired. I like to shoot too much.

Believe it or not, that was not an elimination question at Cathay Pacific. People who answered both ways got hired.

Latest resources

Back