Personal drops @ CAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jetjockey#1

Has anybody been succesful at droping a trip in March? I just don't understand the system, I count plenty of reserve on the avilability screen, but yet, the min level is 1 or 2 people below, and when I talk to scheduling, they say the names include guys in "ground school" and "rx". How is that possible, why is it legal to start the month with less staffing the min level.

Does anybody know if the union has a requirement for min staffing in the contract?

huh?

Has anybody been succesful at droping a trip in March? I just don't understand the system, I count plenty of reserve on the avilability screen, but yet, the min level is 1 or 2 people below, and when I talk to scheduling, they say the names include guys in "ground school" and "rx". How is that possible, why is it legal to start the month with less staffing the min level.

Does anybody know if the union has a requirement for min staffing in the contract?

My suggestion is you learn to read and understand the English language first. Then perhaps it will begin to make sense. :0

Dropping a trip, or trip trading at CAL is just about impossible. CAL is understaffed and PBS will make you suffer for it. Plan on flying 86-89 hours per month. I am serious about this, unless you are senior you will fly your tail off!

With regard to our contract, it is poorly written and usually favors managment, so I doubt there is anything written about staffing levels.

At DAL we have similar problems (in some categories, in others not) but at least we have a couple of tools to sometimes alleviate them.

For starters, if you put in a trip drop request in open time that is then denied (due to too few reserves) then it still goes in open time with a "Q" next to it, which stands for "Qualified" Personal Drop. If another pilot picks it up, then the trip is his and you are off the hook. Of course this happens a lot more with one and two day trips than it does with 3 day trips and longer. Still, it is better than nothing.

We also have a "Swapboard" that is independent of our "normal" open time. You can put up a trip for a "pickup" that guys can just select--again your success may vary, but in the international categories (where pilot staffing is better) I have both picked up, dropped, and swapped numerous trips.

I understand that at SWA you can actually give away PORTIONS of a trip. I would like to hear how that works in more detail. Any SWA guys got some good insights?

My suggestion is you learn to read and understand the English language first. Then perhaps it will begin to make sense. :0

Oh GOD! Another one of the spelling $ags are back! When they have nothing of value to add, they brake out the old spelling error crap! Hey Smellycat spell this!

This probably didn't help...

CAL MEC Update
February 21, 2007

Yesterday evening, the Association alerted Continental Flight Operations and Crew Scheduling management that the Open Time Trade window had prematurely opened. Flight Operations informed us that they were working to remedy the situation. Those pilots involved were contacted by Scheduling and had their lines reset to their original award. We have suggested to Flight Operations they update the pilot group on their remedy to this situation.

CAL MEC

Latest resources

Back