Perks for Airline Employees?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Bally

I am beginning my first 121 job at SWA next month. I have been a corporate pilot for my entire aviation career. Aside from emassing tons of Hilton points, there are few perks for corporate aviators.

Once working for a 121, are you able to ride or jumpseat on other carriers? Did 911 eliminate this?

I also heard a rumor that airline employees get discounts on cruises, ski lift tickets, free drinks at Chili's, etc.

Any of this true?

Hotel Points

Unfortunately most hotels don't allow you to gain points because you didn't pay for the room. This is my experience at least.

I'm still trying though.

Slug

Perks

You can ride on other airlines on a jump seat pass, but you have to ride in the cabin. No more riding on the cockpit unless you work for that company, for now... It has to do with them verifying your employment.

As for discounts on trips and stuff there is a web site called
http://www.perx.com/
It is for all airline employees. They are pretty good to work with.

Never heard that about Chili's. There are all kinds of discounts available to different big companies. You will have to check with SWA when you start. They range from discounts on food and drinks at the overnights to discounts on computers and cell phone plans.

Bally:

Yes there are lots of nice benefits. Jumpseat is certainly near the top if not the top one. Reduced rate travel for you and your family is also a big one. Car rental discounts ,hotel discounts, and depending on the airline and the city, restaurant discounts. Lift ticket discounts are available. I remember Deer Valley, Utah used to give about 50% but Park City didn't. My new company overseas has gone to great lengths to provide some nice benefits. Actually it is the Pilot's Club that did it but we have free beach club membership, gym memberships, golf club memberships( not quite free ), and some serious restaurant discounts around town.

In return you get to live a life of uncertainty, possibly commute to work, and be away from your family for 14 nights per month. Not that I am complaining but there are drawbacks as well as perks. With Southwest I hope you don't face furloughs and pension plan terminations. Oops, sorry, no pension plan at Southwest. Just as well, that way you won't count on what won't be there in the end.

Good luck with your new company and enjoy the good things the position brings.

Typhoonpilot

Latest resources

Back