Perforated eardrum

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

jimmyw

Does anyone have or know of others that are flying with a perforated eardrum.I know of the benefits to repairing it however,I keep my ears dry and it helps on some occasions in flight equalizing pressure.I've had it 15 years.

Funny that I just stumbled upon this.

I have had a perforated eardrum since 2005. It is a very slight perforation and more often than not the ear doctor nor the ame can see it. Now that I think about it only the my ear doctor has seen it. It is still there because I get the whistle when I try to pop my ears.

My ame said it would actually benefit me in my job due to it being easier to equalize the pressure.

I do keep it dry though. That part is hard considering I love the water and so do my kids.

Bigeasy

Good deal. I know alot of docs will want you to have it repaired for just that reason,water or increased chance for infection,etc .I know back in the day they use to puncture some military pilots drums for efficient equalization. Am interested in knowing about those in aviation business who've elected repairing a peforation or not.If so what the success rate shows.

It's not a big deal. Many pilot have had a bilateral tymphanostomy (P-tubes) performed on their eardrums so that there is a constant opening. I've had this for years and the FAA aeromedical has zero problems with this. Unless you are a SCUBA diver, I don't see any reason to get a perforated eardrum repaired. I go snorkeling all the time and can go up to 10 feet under water with earplugs I bought over the internet. Type "The worlds best earplugs" or something like that into a search engine. They are the best ones I've used. They are blue colored and custom mold to your ear canal when you put them in. The best part is that they are cheap.

Latest resources

Back