• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Perfect response to the media + Senators

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It is not about status, it is about the day in the life of an airline pilot. It is an excellent letter. Unless you have sat in the seat that many of us sit in do not judge.

Browntail did not attack you! He said his comments to Flychicaga. I think Flychicaga is a big boy and can take care of himself, so you jump in and add fuel to the fire. Real professional.

Good day,
AAflyer

FlyChicaga,

If you are dealing with children why did respond again!

Last edited:
AAflyer said:
It is not about status, it is about the day in the life of an airline pilot. It is an excellent letter. Unless you have sat in the seat that many of us sit in do not judge.
If you don't have my job (whatever it might be), then don't judge it either. I'd say I have an equal claim to that statement, right? The question remains, then, how you can make a comparison to my job when I can't make a comparison to yours.

AAflyer said:
Browntail did not attack you! He said his comments to Flychicaga. I think Flychicaga is a big boy and can take care of himself, so you jump in and add fuel to the fire. Real professional.

Good day,
AAflyer
I am not defending Fly chicaga, he is doing a great job. I thought I was permitted to throw my own comments into the fray. Why is there fuel for the fire? I have been pretty reasonable in what I have said.

Besides, you are defending Browntail.... if its not preofessional for me, then its not for you either. Right?

Fly Chicaga, if it is your dream to become an airline manager then I would not want to detract from that dream. The point I am making is that you WILL be corrupted by the management team that is already in place. If you don't fall in line and get with their program, you won't be their employee for very long.

"However, how does flying the line at a regional airline provide someone with the knowledge and understanding of airline business practices to make a substatiated argument about how much pilots should be paid, or how much pilots are worth?"

That part is easy to answer. If you are going to get heart surgery, are you going to request the chief of cardiology or the med student that just graduated. If your a certain athlete that hacked up his wife, who are you going to get to defend you? The public defender or J.C. The flying public has gotten spoiled with the safety record of airline flying. They just think it is routine that we took them 2000 miles in a large aluminum tube at 600 mph, 35000 feet above the earth. Oh we also dodged numerous thunderstorms, had to hold because it got busy and then did an approach down to minimums. What we do is nothing short of a miracle if you really think about it. Pretty much the same as a doctor repairing your heart! If your family was on that plane, how much would we be worth to you?

Priceless I would say!!!!!

My mom used to say when I was at my regional job, "If those people knew what you got paid, they would not get on that plane with you"

"If the company says "we just can't give you more money, even if we want to", well maybe that is true. If you have noticed, the airlines are in the red. Cuts are being made right and left to help return companies to profitability."

I could see using that line for some places, but my airline is the most profitable airline in the entire world.

AAflyer thanks for the input, I know you know what the airline lifestyle is like. Our way of life is continually assaulted by ceo's that take huge bonuses for running airlines into the ground and politicians that take all kinds of bribes from those same companies.

FlyChicaga,TXCAP4228 and Falcon Capt, the above paragraphs explain exactly why we take our jobs so seriously and feel that we are worthy of our salaries and more in the future.

AAflyer said:
Falcon Capt,

You do not seem very airline friendly, from past posts.Maybe I am reading into it. Since you are a moderator you are held to higher level. Regardless of what you think about Browntail I ask that you bite your tongue, or step down from that position. Mu understanding is you are supposed to be nuetral.

Cordially,

AAflyer

I was not aware because I VOLUNTEER to help out with the maintenance on this board that I can not express my own opinion...

What exactly is "Airline Friendly"? Does that mean I have to agree with everything said by someone with "EMB-120, CL-65, B-727 or B767" in their profile???

If anyone out there is underpaid and at a high risk it is the Men and Women of the United States Armed Forces... Lets see anyone dispute that.... They are at a MUCH great risk day to day than any Domestic or International US Flag ship flight crew... And they are paid a fraction of what an airline crew gets paid...

I personally enjoyed how "Browntail" went right for the personal insults to anyone who disputed him in the least bit.... Calling people "wannabes" and the such.... AAFlyer, I have read many of your posts, most are well thought out and the such.. I can't believe that you would agree that jumping in with personal insults is an amicable act on this or any other public forum...

Browntail appearantly believes veeryone want to be like him.... Hey, everyone is entitled to their own personal twisted perception of reality.... Right on, Top Gun!

Falcon capt,

You are right, I would like to apologize for that attack, and thank you for taking your free time to moderate. Sometimes it is easy to get sucked in.

Some of the frustration lies in the misconception of the major airline pilot. A handful are arrogant and give all of us a black eye. In all honesty your job in the corporate arena with no back-up like the airlines have is probably very demanding, more so than mine.

I worked hard to get here and work hard now, especially flying overseas. I would like to be compensated for being a good pilot, I would like to compensated and rewarded when the company does well, I would like to be more productive, that would benefit both parties. There are many ideas and thoughts we have on helping our companies, but all the media and Joe Q public sees is greedy overpaid pilots wanting more.

I will not apologize for what I make, but I am willing to work out a solution that rewards me and helps the company.

Additionally I am not a top gun or think I am better for wearing a uniform with AA wings. A professional pilot is a professional pilot wether it is in a 777 or Baron. However respect is earned, wether you are a Baron captain or 777 captain.

Thanks for listening,

AAflyer

From Browntail:
"The point I am making is that you WILL be corrupted by the management team that is already in place. If you don't fall in line and get with their program, you won't be their employee for very long. "
That's not always true....sometimes they'll still keep you, they'll just send your butt packing to Orlando. Take it from a uncorrupted "rebel" who's been there, done that.

browntail said:
..Ask Bob Crandall the cost of a B-757 impacting a Colombian mountain...The Cost

Wasn't this crash due to pilot error and the total lack of professionalism of the flight crew?

Isn't it odd to include this in the original post that tries to glorify airline pilots.

Last edited:
What you are worth....

You are worth whatever your union contract says you are worth...no more, no less. Nothing else really matters. If you don't work in a union enviornment then I guess you are worth whatever you agree to work for. How "good" you do your job has nothing to do with it. We are held to the standard of our companies FAA approved operation manuals and the FAA itself. Meet that standard and you "deserve" to be there and command the salary.

Pilots are always trying to improve their situation through whatever means available...I see nothing wrong with that. Managements job is to increase company profits and serve the stockholders....this is usually at the expense of the employees.

Southwest is a rare example in the airline business where the employees and management work together for the benefit of both the stockholder and the employee....in fact, stock is part of the compensation. Not sure why this model hasn't been duplicated but the fact that management is so distrusted at most airlines probably has a lot to do with it.

Latest resources

Back