• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pentagon Calls Up Civilian Planes

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I believe at AA the 777's will be doing this and the trips will either be in the bid or in open time to trade for. And no you do not have to be ex military. I understand that they can be very long duty days...18-20 hours.

Dirtbag reporters do not care about accuracy in reporting anymore. Especially when it comes to aviation. The more I read some of the garbage reporters write, the more skeptical I am about all the news that I read and hear. I think they are just pulling information out of their a$$es most of the time. (I'm surprised, CNN forgot to mention all the airplanes being provided from Pan Am, Eastern, Braniff, Western, and PSA!!) Dumba$$es!!:rolleyes:

A little late!

They have been flying the CRAF aircraft for a couple month now. I see several a week leave a military base right next to my house. All different carriers, not just the contract carrier. Not to mention, the C-17's, 141's and C-5's consantly departing. I just pray that they all come back in one piece. I remember going to SA on TWA and coming back on United. Great bunch of guys and gals that volunteer to do this. I was devistated when I found out that the TWA crew was killed in a crash one month later. I got to know them fairly well as I sat up front and helped with the navigation. I personally wish that I could be involved supporting our military like that.

Last edited:
I have flown 45 hours in the last 6 days. I am home now as our airplanes are getting a phase check then we go back to it. The Northern Lights the last couple of days across the North Atlantic have been wonderful. Busy, busy, busy but that is war, loving life. With the CRAF program they want civilian pilots.

(I'm surprised, CNN forgot to mention all the airplanes being provided from Pan Am, Eastern, Braniff, Western, and PSA!!)

You mean this one from Pan Am?

NewPanAm.jpg

International Supplemental 121 max 12 hours in 24 with no duty time limit with augmented crew. After the Kalitta accident AMC wants flight and duty to be per supplemental 121. We have our union rules that are stricter than any 121, they can be waived with crew and committe approval for CRAF missions.

I am sure that I missed this some where, but are the airlines and crews NOT paid for this mission? Thanks, -Bean::confused:

regarding Tim seeing airline jets at an Air Force base...
airlines can & do fly charters to move troops or cargo from place to place. Not at all the same thing as CRAF. Some level of charters for the military happens all the time, and obviously can be stepped up as things warrant. CRAF involves far more "control" by the military of the jets & crews than just a charter. It is also a signal to the world for interested nations to observe.

Latest resources

Back