Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

MarineGrunt

Will kill for peace.
Where are the places to live around p-cola and hurlburt? Looking for decent neighborhoods, good schools, etc. More importantly, places to avoid for those reasons...

Any other general info appreciated as well. Will be Hurlburt based.

It has been a while but there used to be a real stinky paper mill in the Pensacola area. Find out if it still operates and know its location if so. If you have to live with that smell you will regret it.

If he is going to be based at Hurlburt, he won't be living anywhere near that paper mill. That mill was almost 25-30 mins north of where I lived and Hurlburt, depending on the traffic, was over 30-40 mins to the east.

Hurlburt and P'cola are quite a ways from each other... speaking from a daily commute perspective. If you're going to be at Pcola NAS, I recommend the Perdido area out the back gate. Close to work, quieter, newer. Either that or East Heights up east of the airport, along the west shore of the bay. There are some good communities spread around, but there are some old ones too.

If you're going to be at Hurlburt, again like Pcola there are some nice areas in Ft Walton Beach, but again, there are some bad. Navarre may be an easier commute, if you're any further east than Ft. Walton, you're looking at a traffic filled commute. I'd personally live in Shalimar, being based there. The big deciding factor is if you have kids, and what schools you want them to go to.

PM me any specific questions, especially if you have a family. I grew up in the area, and know it well.

If you're going to be at Hurlburt, again like Pcola there are some nice areas in Ft Walton Beach, but again, there are some bad. Navarre may be an easier commute, if you're any further east than Ft. Walton, you're looking at a traffic filled commute.
Ain't it a shame...I remember when Ft. Walton/Destin were sleepy little "Redneck Riviera" towns with light traffic and great beaches. Times sure have changed. (The beaches are still great)

Ain't it a shame...I remember when Ft. Walton/Destin were sleepy little "Redneck Riviera" towns with light traffic and great beaches. Times sure have changed. (The beaches are still great)

So do I. Destin was just once a sleepy little fishing town. Now it's so over run with tourists and GOD AWFUL looking condo's I almost hate going back to see what it's become.

Hurlburt Field!

I live 1.5 miles west of Hurlburt Field. My wife is stationed there and we love it here. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DESTIN!!! That place is a disaster area specifically during the tourist season. Most of the Hurlburt gys live out towards Navarre, Holley by the Sea and Gulf Shore's. 10 Mins to Navarre and 30 to Gulf Shore's. Gulf Shore's is just outside of pensacola. ( I had to add the ' as it throws out a bunch of **** for some reason but they are not there on the real spelling). There are plenty of properties for sale and rent so you wont have any trouble finding a place.

PM me if you need some help.

Tim

Last edited:
I live 1.5 miles west of Hurlburt Field. My wife is stationed there and we love it here. DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT DESTIN!!! That place is a disaster area specifically during the tourist season. Most of the Hurlburt gys live out towards Navarre, Holley by the Sea and Gulf Shore's. 10 Mins to Navarre and 30 to Gulf Shore's. Gulf Shore's is just outside of pensacola. ( I had to add the ' as it throws out a bunch of **** for some reason but they are not there on the real spelling). There are plenty of properties for sale and rent so you wont have any trouble finding a place.

PM me if you need some help.

Tim

I live 7 Mi west of HRT. Once you get west of HRT your traffic time increases exponentially between 1530 and 1730.....M-Wed/Thur...Fridays aren't 'as" bad.

There are some good deals on houses in every area. Mary Esther, Navarre, Niceville....Living in FWB or Shalimar would be better for traffic and you aren't as close to the water....insurance is prolly cheaper. Note, if you live south of Hwy 98 your insurance will be high and you will be evactuated per county Emer Mgmt rules during storms.

Destin is a wonderful place to live, but like TIM said...the traffic SUCKS.
A friend lives past Destin due to his wife....normal drive with no traffic is about 40-45 min. During Spring Break and summer with traffic - 2-2.5 hours. ONE WAY.

Latest resources

Back