• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Pay to play this time UAL

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
isn't that because in the 80's real airline pilots told their companies they would not fly those little prop airplanes. I mean after they will never amount to anything flying 200 NM legs to hubs. They could never compete with maniline. Maybe should have put those planes onm the certifcate?

That is why I say all airplanes must be flown my mainline. Mainline flew t-props in the past and should fly them agian. Other wise the 100 dash 8 will become reality.

Don't forget that Air Wisconsin also extended a loan to US Airways a few years back...after UAL decided that a good business partner for years wasn't as important as cost cutting was--

Senior ALPA pilots created this mess when they were too proud to take a pay reduction in order to bring the new "little jets" in-house. The ultimate results are now plain to see. Of course most of those rocket scientists who were actively involved with this are now long gone and have left the rest of us to deal with the catastrophe.

Further proof that we continue to do it to ourselves and without lube too!

Yep! I flew with one of MEC members who voted on it (while I was at Netjets, and he a retired UAL guy with a mansion in San Fran). Anyway, he stated very clearly to me that if they brought RJ's into the fleet, they would have to lower 747 Captain pay rates (he, as a senior UAL pilot, was amazingly, a 747 captain). Well, there was no way in he11, he would take a pay cut just so new hires could fly those itty bitty 35-50 seaters. So they voted for the RJs to go to the regionals.

What's amazing, is that he told me this in 2004, after all the furloughs after 9/11 etc. I told him right to his face "YOU ARE THE REASON WHY THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF MAJOR AIRLINE PILOTS ON FURLOUGH!!"

He was my f/o, so I could be a$$ like that :)

Good for you! I'd have landed in deliverance and dropped him off.

Proves it again, mainline mec's throw everyone else and the profession overboard. Greed and entitlement are not exclusive to the management suites....

I might even lend UAL money at 11%. My impression from the letter skywest managment sent us is that this also put skywest inc at the front of the line for any UAX flying that comes up.

Scott

Rad cockpit Scott, er.... Captain Scott.

11% might be "sub-prime" but, given the borrower, it's not exactly a low-risk investment either.

Yep! I flew with one of MEC members who voted on it (while I was at Netjets, and he a retired UAL guy with a mansion in San Fran). Anyway, he stated very clearly to me that if they brought RJ's into the fleet, they would have to lower 747 Captain pay rates (he, as a senior UAL pilot, was amazingly, a 747 captain). Well, there was no way in he11, he would take a pay cut just so new hires could fly those itty bitty 35-50 seaters. So they voted for the RJs to go to the regionals.

What's amazing, is that he told me this in 2004, after all the furloughs after 9/11 etc. I told him right to his face "YOU ARE THE REASON WHY THERE ARE THOUSANDS OF MAJOR AIRLINE PILOTS ON FURLOUGH!!"

He was my f/o, so I could be a$$ like that :)

Dude that is funny you say that because we had the same at CS. The UA guys there it was because of greed.

Pay to play? Skywest is making 11% a year on their money. Airlines are getting liquidity from places other than banks these days.

Poor thread title.

You are so right.
I wonder if SkyWest will up the ante with TRIP this upcoming year. 15% up to 20% ownership? Brazil definitely has potential. Their economy is having a robust recovery and the middle class population has surged in the last few years. TRIP has continued to expand this year and have plans for next year as well.
http://www.eturbonews.com/12351/trip-linhas-aereas-expand-operations-invest-198-million
so now if the government decides to raise the foreign ownership which they might do(49%), who knows. Yet again, another brilliant business transaction was made by JA and crew. Nice.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back