Pay rate for on-demand

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EatSleepFly

Whats the going rate for on-demand cargo, per hour...flight and duty? Based in the midwest. Aircraft is a Caravan, 45 min. callout. On call 24 hrs. a day, 5 days a week. Just want to make sure the numbers they gave me are reasonable before I get into this. Thanks.

Last edited:
Is there a minimum pay? If so that is all you can REALLY count on. The way on demand works you can have huge ups and downs. April-december generally good, for flying freight. jan-march generally sucky. You have to save in the fat months to make the bills in the lean ones. If you can, talk to some of the guys flying the line there to find out if they really make what you were told. Are they paying per mile, or per hour?

The economy (read manufacturing) is going pretty strong, so there is work out there. If the company has a good reputation with the bid boards and brokers it helps a lot. You might want to post what they told you so guys who are flying caravans can let you know.

Last edited:
EatSleepFly said:
Whats the going rate for on-demand cargo, per hour...flight and duty? Based in the midwest. Aircraft is a Caravan, 45 min. callout. On call 24 hrs. a day, 5 days a week. Just want to make sure the numbers they gave me are reasonable before I get into this. Thanks.

Castle? Priority?

I'd probaly say 30-35k....if there is no mileage incentive.

With mileage...25k-28k

Just a WAG...

Thanks. They seem to do a lot of flying year-round, and don't have huge turnover. Pay is hourly, starting at $22.50/flight hour, and $12.50/duty hour, plus 401k and benefits. Extra pay for things like Canada flying and picking up extra trips, etc. I only know one guy there, but he's been there for almost three years and seems to like it. Full time guys fly 1,000-1,400 hrs. a year, which is fine with me. I've got no problem flying my a$$ off, I just want to make sure I'm not getting bent on pay. From what I saw and the employees I talked to, it seems like a good place to work. Nice equipment, good maintenance. Not your sterotypical (or typical, I don't know) freight junk. It seems alright to me, but I've never done this type of flying, so I don't know any different. Thanks for the help!

-ESF

T-Gates: I'll PM you.

Its been a while since I've been in the 135 end of things, but I don't think you can fly 1400 hours in a year. But anything over 800 I consider flying your a** off. Especially single pilot 135.

After a trip ends, you're not available to be called until you've met the rest requirements.

By 24 hours, I meant that you can be called at any hour provided you're not in rest. Sorry for the confusion, and thanks for the replies.

I guess the question is, how about when that 10 hours of rest ends? Are you back on call until you get called again? Are you assigned 14 hour of duty (fly or not) followed by 10 hours of rest?

fokkers&beer said:
Its been a while since I've been in the 135 end of things, but I don't think you can fly 1400 hours in a year. But anything over 800 I consider flying your a** off. Especially single pilot 135.

I'm flying right at " 1200 " a year ( quotation marks for a reason ) all Single Pilot IFR, you gonna help get my old job back or what ?????

( Smiles crazily while mixing some Capt. 'Organ Special reserve with a 'splash' of coke regarding the pretty chrome on the shotgun in the: ' In Emergency Break Glass and Aim At Face ' box mounted behind the couch.)

fokkers&beer said:

Unscheduled is 1400/yr. 500 in any quarter, 800 in any two consecutive quarters.

Thanks for the info. guys!

Latest resources

Back