Pay Comparison Misnomer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Slick

I’m confused. I’ve read several posts on this forum and several articles saying that SWA now has the top pay in the industry. I guess I’m not good at math. According to Airline Pilot Central, AA and CAL pilots make more.

American
777 Captain with 12 years - $196 per hour
A Plan - 1.25%
B Plan - 11%
401k - No matching
Profit Sharing – Yes

Continental
777 Captain with 12 years - $186 per hour
A Plan – 2.20%
B Plan - Yes
401k - No
Profit Sharing – Stock Options

Southwest
737 Captain with 12 years - $190 per hour
A Plan – None
B Plan – None
401k – Match up to 7.3%
Profit Sharing – Yes

Yes SWA guys can buy stock at a discount and they make money from profit sharing. But, the really big bucks come from the A and B fund.

SWA pay is not the highest. Even after massive pay-cuts, AA and CAL pilots make more.

Dude,
Look at the equipment being flown. Of course a 777 Capt. will make more than a 737 Capt. Pilot pay has always been based on the size of the airplane being flown. Thats why everyone wants to retire on a widebody. $190 an hour for a 737 is excellent money.

You're also forgetting one thing. Pay caps.

I believe that CAL and AMR both have them. SWA doesn't. You can fly until you time out.

I'll take SWA's contract any day over anyone elses.

HalinTexas said:
You're also forgetting one thing. Pay caps.

I believe that CAL and AMR both have them. SWA doesn't. You can fly until you time out.

I'll take SWA's contract any day over anyone elses.

I don't usually post replies but I had to ask a question when I read this. What about flying until you time out is attractive? I would prefer to have a pay cap so everyone can advance instead of one person flying the trips of 1 1/2 people. Then more people upgrade and you can make the bigger money without having to work extra until you "time out". I like to fly but I enjoy my family and time off more.

I knew someone from SWA would post something about flying more per month. How about this logic - I could hold three jobs, work more hours a month, and make more money. Oh yeah, I could give blood everyday and make some extra money too! Only one problem with this theory - your quality of life is crap.

I love your mentality. One of your selling points is that SWA will let you fly more. What ever happened to the concept of being paid well and still having time off? Money is only part of the equation.

My favorite is when SWA pilots boast about being the most productive. Most productive = lowest quality of life. Bragging about the fact that you work harder than anyone else is bizarre at best. Scary at worst.

Last edited:
Alonzo,

Although you don't reply often, that was the best reply I've seen in a long, long time.

Z-

By the way, even if the pay was lower (which its not) I’d still prefer to fly a 777 to Nagoya than a 737 to Midland. Lots of my buddies ended up at SWA after 9/11 because there was nothing else. My buddies who have been there for 4+ years don’t enjoy their job. You can’t even take a break to use the restroom or buy lunch – gotta turn the jet in 20 minutes!

Last edited:
Big Slick said:
My favorite is when SWA pilots boast about being the most productive. Most productive = lowest quality of life. Bragging about the fact that you work harder than anyone else is bizarre at best. Scary at worst.

SWA is lowering the standards for the entire industry.

I guess I know where you stand, but I'd rather fly eight hours, three days per week and be done than sit on my thumb at the hub flying my 3.5 hous per day.

That's what they mean by being "productive", it's working more when you're actually at work. What in the world is wrong with that?

Have you been reading about those GM chumps that are in the "jobs bank" where they go to a big cafeteria every day to sit around and collect their paychecks? How is that better than being "productive"?

You have a weird set of values. The good thing is, you'll make less in the long run than someone with a stronger work ethic, so it all comes out in the end.

How many 12 year capts do CAL and AA have on the payroll??? To be realistic, one would have to pro rate the pay out over a career which would include the amount of time as FO and as capt in smaller planes. I don't have the inclination to look up payrates but I would assume, and I may be wrong, that one spent a lot more time making less money as an FO at CAL and AA than at SWA and were a bit behind the curve before they made the upgrade to Capt..epecially to 777 capt.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back