Pax clapping after landings?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sat74

I've been riding DH on a lot of airlines in Europe lately and it seems that almost always the passengers clap after landing! I've noticed this flying in Latin/South America as well! Another thing they do is form a huge single file line when boarding is announced! LMAO!!

I find it hilarious, but what's the deal?

I've been riding DH on a lot of airlines in Europe lately and it seems that almost always the passengers clap after landing! I've noticed this flying in Latin/South America as well! Another thing they do is form a huge single file line when boarding is announced! LMAO!!

I find it hilarious, but what's the deal?

Single file?? They wont last 5 minutes on the SWA cattle call!!:laugh:

I used to live in Panama and upon touchdown the whole plane would clap and yell " Viva Panama." I thought it was hilarious.

It's because every time they ride on a foreign carrier they know they are taking their lives into their own hands.

A couple people started to clap today on a SWA flt (SEA-SMF) but no one else would join in. It was not that good of a landing and was a bit long, more taxi time!

It's a cultural thing. Every time I go see the parents in PR I have to contend with it. As far as PR is concerned, it began in the 80s as airlines really became more commonplace down there. For most people in the island who haven't flown before, getting on an airliner was a big deal. More contemporarily, it's mostly comprised of the "we're going to Disney" crowd. Transplants from the island (such as myself) usually treat it with mild neglect, as it's all really an indication of lack of cultural exposure. Sometimes it's hard to avoid though. The transplant crowd is not really guilty of the clapping offence anymore, except for certain "domiciles", most notably MIA, MCO, and JFK (newyoricans...never been to the island but clap anyway, what the f$ck they clapping for? LOL).

You want the full experience? Fly MIA-SJU, MCO-SJU, JFK-SJU, particularly through AA, and holy sh%t brother get ready for it. I'm back living in the south now, and I much rather fly ATL-SJU non-stop on DAL than do the "macarena" on ATL-MIA(MCO)-SJU on AA. Close you'll ever get to flying SWA to the caribbean if ya ask me..If Southwest ever starts serving SJU, I'm hoping a Carnival cruise to get there. Yikes! lol

I have a ridden a few overseas carriers and at the end of the convaluted octaflugerons it took to make the approach just landing on the airport with the gear extended made me want to clap.

When I was stationed in Stuttgart, Germany, my wife and I flew the DAL 767 flight (I think it was DAL 116/117) between Atlanta and Stuttgart. I always thought the clapping thing was a little funny. I would drive my wife crazy because I would start clapping...in the flare.

I laughed the first time I flew in to Ukraine, and everybody started to clap on the landing roll out. I totally wasn't expecting it.

That's become one of many trips I've made to Ukraine. :erm:

i think it's nice to see some people actually appluad a safe arrival. i join in because i am happy to get off the airplane after 8 hours.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back